PDA

View Full Version : do it mold blanks

craveman85
04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
anyone ever thought of using do it mold blanks for casting bullets. i figure i could mill the top flat, put on a sprue plate, and mill out about 4 cavities . they are definately long enough for bpcr bullets. with some new alignment pins they should keep pretty steady when closed. wouldnt be a bad blank with handles for 30 bucks.

deltaenterprizes
04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I can buy plenty of aluminum 3/4'' scrap plate for $30 and make my own blocks. Even with new aluminum bar stock plenty can be bought for $30.
Check ebay for drops.

craveman85
04-04-2011, 09:34 PM
but these are already trued together with hinges and handles. might make it easier

Hamish
04-04-2011, 09:51 PM
3 or 4 day's ago I was wondering the same thing. Rigidity to the point of maintaining "circularity" in the hinge would be the biggest thing. As a machinist I am a heckuva interior decorator but would certainly be interested in seeing it done.

craveman85
04-05-2011, 05:41 AM
what do you mean by circularity

Calamity Jake
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
DO-IT mold blocks are made of cast aluminum of a type, who knows what?

I really don't think they will make good boolit mold blocks, but give a try and report back.

craveman85
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
ive got a few other moulds and threir hinges are still pretty rigid. ive casted thousands of sinkers with each of them and theyre still tight the face of the mold thats milled flat seems to have a pretty good finish so im thinking bullets would be fine

theperfessor
04-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I think what you will run into sooner or later is the wear and clearance on the hinge pin will allow the faces to slide back and forth against each other and not make a round bullet. The faces may stay flat and you may not get any finning but you will get a seam and an eccentric bullet. How long will this take? Hard to predict, maybe the best way to find out is to try it.

Is there any way to drill/ream a couple of holes for male/female pins to take lateral play out of blocks?

craveman85
04-06-2011, 12:26 AM
well i planned on putting some alignment pins on it anyways. if need be i can drill out the pin hole, put a bushing in it, then put a steel pin in it. i think lube should help prevent the hinge from wearing out too bad. and by that time i will have made better moulds anyways.

Hamish
04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
excuse the lag, traveling. +1 what theperfesser said. "circularity" or roundness. A Do-It would certainly be cheaper than a Lee 6 cavity. My only problem with that style of mold is proximity of hot mold to hand. I would think that it would be a ton better than a Lee 2 cavity as far as opening and closing the handles. Seems to me like the Do-It does about half the work for you.

a.squibload
04-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Have seen here that inexpensive Lee molds have been used to make core molds.
You could get a Lee in a caliber you like, and mill the other side for the new size, assuming there's enough room.
Or get a small caliber and work on the existing holes.
Just my 2¢ worth...