PDA

View Full Version : Breach or Cartridge Seaters?

Dragoon 45
04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Spotted for a friend of mine yesterday in his first BPCRS Match. We had one small problem in the match. We had determined the OAL for his rifle and had set the seating depth at about .002" off the rifling. The Bullets were thumbseated with no neck tension. As the string of fire progressed, he had the occassional cartridge that had to be forced into the fouled chamber. His shooting partner had a lever type affair with two ears on it that we used to seat the cartridge fully. Unfortunately the other shooter did not know the exact name for this device.

My friend wants to order one for his Sharps .45-70, but not knowing the correct name for the device we don't know where to start looking. I normally shoot a High Wall and haven't really had this problem with my rifle due to the camming action of the High Wall. Any one have the information we need.

Thank You in advance.

Boz330
04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Several of the Sharps shooters at my club use a home made affair from hardwood that fits the breech block slot with a short extension to push on the cartridge base. This extension is narrower than the breech width. Kinda hard to explain.

Bob

Gunlaker
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Check out the Arizona Sharpshooters web sight. They sell them there. Although I've been waiting for a reply for them for a couple of weeks.

Chris.

wills
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=37170

http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/mediac/400_0/media/cartridge$20seaters$20005.jpg

kokomokid
04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Sage outfitters or sagebrush outfitters also has them. How did the two of you do in his first match?

Dragoon 45
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Sage outfitters or sagebrush outfitters also has them. How did the two of you do in his first match?

He won the Unclassified Category but only classed as a B category Shooter after his score was tallied. It was a typical April Day in Oklahoma with 30-40 mph winds out of the SW so all the shooters had a rough day. He would have scored higher except he shot, I think it was, 5 targets out of order so they were called as misses. But when he hit three rams in a row, he was hooked. We have a lot more load development to do for his rifle and I have still to teach him how to cast. But any day on the range is a very good day.

oldracer
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I ordered one of the breech seater tools from Arizona Sharpshooters yesterday. Called on the phone and the help was great. The info I got was the tools are being made and a batch should be done next week since they were sold out a large match that they had recently. I thought it interesting that the owner used to work building dragster frames a few miles from where I live here in the San Diego area!

Gunlaker
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I ordered one of the breech seater tools from Arizona Sharpshooters yesterday. Called on the phone and the help was great. The info I got was the tools are being made and a batch should be done next week since they were sold out a large match that they had recently. I thought it interesting that the owner used to work building dragster frames a few miles from where I live here in the San Diego area!

Thanks! I'll give them a call. I missed seeing the phone # on the web site somehow and just used email :-)

Chris.

Dragoon 45
04-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. He ordered a seater today from Sagebrush Outfitters.