PDA

View Full Version : Stock Finishing Ideas for Trapdoor

school of mines
04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I am working on a 1870 BPC trapdoor project rifle. I have a new stock fitted and am looking for input on how to finish the stock. The rifle has a nice patina on all the exposed metal parts. I want to have the stock finish "match" the metal. I guess what I am saying is I want the stock to have a rustic finish! Ha! The stock is walnut by the way. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks

Mustangpalmer1911
04-04-2011, 04:06 AM
I just used linseed oil on a civil war musket handed down threw the family for several generations now to keep it from drying out anymore. It is a very natural looking finish.

gmsharps
04-04-2011, 07:21 AM
To keep a military finish I would use boiled linseed oil. Rub the linseed oil into the stock and wipe off the excess with a soft cloth and then let it dry overnight and after the first application wood fibers will be raised a bit you can take either 0000 Steelwool or a 600 grit wet dry sand paper to knock down the fibers. Reapply the boiled linseed oil application and slight sanding procedure until the desired finish. this will give a matte like finish which is typical finish to military stocks. I don't know if I would distress the wood as it will wear in with time. About once every year or so reapply the linseed oil as it will dry out in time. Also make sure you lay the clothe you applied the linseed on out flat in a well ventilated area as it will combust if wadded up and in an enclosed area. My .02 worth

school of mines
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I was leaning towards boiled linseed oil for finishing the stock. Thanks for the application tips and safety concerns with using linseed oil soaked rags! Distressing the stock is not in the plans. But I do want an authentic finish.

RMulhern
04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Tie a rope on it...drag it down a gravel road...and give it that OLD LOOK!!