PDA

View Full Version : Honing out a CARBIDE resizing die?

catboat
04-03-2011, 03:33 PM
There is a current post about honing out a Lee sizing die (non-carbide) with abrasive strips and grit-empregnated bullets to good affect.

I was wondering, has anyone done this to a CARBIDE resizing die? I am loading 38 specials with .358 - .360" wadcutters. If I use my (Lyman) carbide case resizer/decapper, I size down the case too much for my needs. I use a modified expander button to open up the case to .3595" for about .65" deep, so I can just seat the soft wadcutter in the case for final seating with the seating die. This really works the brass, and can (has) resulted in work-hardened case mouths with splits (case lost).

I can use my "universal decapper" (my 30-30 decapper/resizer) and decap the 38 special case, without sizing (doesn't overwork the case). It chambers fine. Unfortunately, there is NO grip on the bullet with this scenario, and I must put a heavy roll crip to keep the bullet in place (still heavy works the case which leads to splitting/work hardening, but slower).

So, I was wondering, I'd like to size the 38 special case "just enough" (and decap it), so it has some case-long grip on a .359" diameter soft wadcutter. I'm guessing I'd have to hone out the carbide sizing ring about .004-0.006"" to do this. If I get the dimension / honing correct, I can size just enough to hold the wadcutter with a light roll crimp, and not have to expand the case (saves time and extends brass life, while keeping the loaded cartridge secure (no slipping out from recoil).

Has anyone done this? Can a carbide resizing ring be honed out with ~ 320 grit wet/dry paper set up in a slotted dowel, spun in a variable speed drill?

Red River Rick
04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
......... Can a carbide resizing ring be honed out with ~ 320 grit wet/dry paper set up in a slotted dowel, spun in a variable speed drill?

You need Diamond abrasives for grinding/lapping carbide.

RRR

John Traveler
04-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Forget about using alumnium oxide, silicon cabide, emery, or any of the other commonly used abfrasives to cut tungsten carbide dies. It is much too hard.

The only material that will cut it is diamond dust. I used to work in a shop that polished carbide tubing draw dies, and they used diamond dust in a grease/oil mixture dabbed on a reciprocating brass rod that applied pressure to the lap while the die was spinning. Even with that setup, it took a couple of HOURS to polish out a couple thousandths of an inch die diameter.

Longwood
04-03-2011, 05:23 PM
There is a current post about honing out a Lee sizing die (non-carbide) with abrasive strips and grit-empregnated bullets to good affect.

I was wondering, has anyone done this to a CARBIDE resizing die? I am loading 38 specials with .358 - .360" wadcutters. If I use my (Lyman) carbide case resizer/decapper, I size down the case too much for my needs. I use a modified expander button to open up the case to .3595" for about .65" deep, so I can just seat the soft wadcutter in the case for final seating with the seating die. This really works the brass, and can (has) resulted in work-hardened case mouths with splits (case lost).

I can use my "universal decapper" (my 30-30 decapper/resizer) and decap the 38 special case, without sizing (doesn't overwork the case). It chambers fine. Unfortunately, there is NO grip on the bullet with this scenario, and I must put a heavy roll crip to keep the bullet in place (still heavy works the case which leads to splitting/work hardening, but slower).

So, I was wondering, I'd like to size the 38 special case "just enough" (and decap it), so it has some case-long grip on a .359" diameter soft wadcutter. I'm guessing I'd have to hone out the carbide sizing ring about .004-0.006"" to do this. If I get the dimension / honing correct, I can size just enough to hold the wadcutter with a light roll crimp, and not have to expand the case (saves time and extends brass life, while keeping the loaded cartridge secure (no slipping out from recoil).

Has anyone done this? Can a carbide resizing ring be honed out with ~ 320 grit wet/dry paper set up in a slotted dowel, spun in a variable speed drill?
This stuff will do it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#lapping-compounds/=bpwwga

Much cheaper than diamond dust.

firefly1957
04-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Just adjust the die so the case only goes part way in like neck sizing a rifle case. Should do what you want without damaging die. Also that carbide is very bad if you inhale it while honing.