PDA

View Full Version : Another use for Ed's Red

ricksplace
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Tried it this morning for turning aluminum. I figured since all the old books say that kerosene is good for turning aluminum, I thought I'd try Ed's Red. Works great! Nice finish and no smoke.

The Virginian
01-27-2013, 06:16 AM
I have tried it as a cutting oil and it works well for small short turns.

Von Gruff
01-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Also works well as a hand cleaner and taking the sticky residue of containers after the lable is removed.

BCRider
02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Also works well as a hand cleaner and taking the sticky residue of containers after the lable is removed.

Please tell me you are kidding about the hand cleaner option. The Ed's Red formula has at least two solvents in the mix which are best avoided or at least minimized in terms of skin contact. Not only does frequent solvent exposure harm the skin it also passes some small amounts through to the blood system where it collects in the internal organs. And nothing good can come from that or the skin damage.

MBTcustom
02-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Please tell me you are kidding about the hand cleaner option. The Ed's Red formula has at least two solvents in the mix which are best avoided or at least minimized in terms of skin contact. Not only does frequent solvent exposure harm the skin it also passes some small amounts through to the blood system where it collects in the internal organs. And nothing good can come from that or the skin damage.

Nah, its good for ya. Puts hair on the ol chest!

I have found that it works pretty darn good for dipping polishing stones in.

Bren R.
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM

Like when I clean a few guns with Hoppes #9 and I can taste it and smell it on my breath...

Bren R.

Shiloh
02-07-2013, 08:57 PM
A good substitute for Tap Magic for engraving tools and bright cutting.

Shiloh

GP100man
02-07-2013, 10:24 PM
A decent penetrant also !

I think the acetone is the driver until it evaporates.