PDA

View Full Version : follow up on powder puff cast loads in 7mm WSM

rogn
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
A few weeks ago I posted about some low intensty, practice loads in a 7WSM. I started out looking for a low intensity load to practice field position shooting with a 7mm Mag. Inever found much on search attempts so I just plunged on. I had a box of Lyman 287346 cast in WW about 20 yrs a go. They were unchecked and unsized. Diameters seemed to run about 0.287" Started by using Wolf LRM primers so as to make sure the wisp of powder wound be found by fire. I have halfton(not really, just a big can) of AL-7 from back in the days of lead shot and waterfowl. 3 1/4 dram; 1 1/4 oz of lead shot soft and lethal. Bullets are just jammed into the case w/fingers until first driving band locks bullet in case, alingment and seating are done with the bolt. Casese were neck turned to provide more inside clearance, they were also inside chamfered extensively to minimized boolit damage. 10.5 gr wound up about 1320 on the chrono, and I wanted to slow things up abit. Dropped back to 9.5 gr of the Alcan 7 and use Lee lube on the bullets. Results were groups at 100yd of about 1.5 to 2" for 3 shots. Didnt have a chance to chrono, but guess theyre about1150- 1200fps. Ran about 50 or 60 of them through practicing and emptied the box.:cry: Dug out the Coleman, the lead pot, mold , ladle etc....... Still half a bucket of WW in shed, so started with ww and an ounce or 2 of 40/60 solder. Forgotten a lot about casting!! cast up about 170 bullets most looked good, some were slightly baseflanged, had a battle keeping sprueplate and mold face clean. Lube up a dozen and tried em out. Accuracy w/o sizing or GC is still around 1.5-2" at 80-100yd. NO LEADING, I havent cleaned the rifle for over 70 estimated rounds of this load and the barrel is spotless. Dont know if this will work for anyone else, not recommending it, but I suppose you could duplicate the load with a single base powder of similar burning rate. I have not tried other primers , but the results with the LR magnums has been great. Ive been very pleased, I can practice a lot w/o damaging the rifle with full power loads , recoil is a figure of speech, and the accuracy is good enough to get meaningful practice. Oh the rifle is a Savage 16, SS 7mm WSM 24", twist is reported to be 1-10 or 1-9", I have not checked it.

Nrut
04-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Sounds like fun rogon,
I'll have to try using the LEE Soupcan boolit in my 7 SAUM....
Thanks for posting your findings...
:drinks: