PDA

View Full Version : Not much use for a shotgun...

wcb_gabe
12-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Was out shooting a while back with my mother and her husband and her being a professional photographer she did some shooting of her own.
I am amazed at what she can catch on a camera.
Here are a few of better explosions she got pics of.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/m_pact/boom1.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/m_pact/boom2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/m_pact/boom3.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/m_pact/boom4.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/m_pact/boom5.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/m_pact/boom6.jpg

Dale53
12-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Pretty impressive shooting (nice timing with the photography, also).

Dale53

OLPDon
12-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Hope those were full soda cans, not full beer cans. Outstanding shooting with handgun and camera.
Thanks for the Post
Don

PS What handgun and Camera?

wcb_gabe
12-06-2006, 02:39 AM
The pistol was a .22 browning buckmark. Didn't have any of my center fires with me that day... The big bores make for some pretty spectacular shows.

Didn't catch any quarters or shell casings(.223, .45) being shot as they'd immediately leave frame upon getting hit. Golf balls are also fun to shoot but didn't photo well as they just go higher back up into the air.

Nope not beer cans...
root beer is the only thing with beer in it I shoot as I'm afraid of the guys I'm shooting with lapping beer up off the ground before it soaks in. Just imagine someone licking beer "mist" off your shooting glasses and that will keep you shooting pop cans.

Don't know much about cameras but it is one of those high end jobs that when your told the price makes you say... wow I could of bought a dozen pistols for that.

OLPDon
12-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Know about prices of camera's I have just one lens that would get you a fully tricked out Kimber 1911 (Camera not included) was just wondering cause its looks as though the Misses was hand holding camera and pic are quite clear with good dept of field.
Don

44man
12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
That is some impressive shooting! One time years ago I was able to do that at a farmers dump where it was safe to shoot in the air. I found that the skill is lost very fast if not done often, less then a month and I had to start all over. I wish I had somewhere to shoot up now.
Of course, now I am so old I can't see the sights or barrel for beans. It sure was fun and I loved to impress friends.
I think you are doing great, keep it up.

carpetman
12-06-2006, 10:16 AM
If I could find a place that had a bunch of old car bodies and someone that could toss them up,I could possibly hit them as often as you are hitting cans.

felix
12-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah, C-man, we got barns around here which are still intact. ... felix

wcb_gabe
12-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Thanks all.
It's aways great to be recognized by shooters such as yourselves who I KNOW make inanimate flying, moving or standing very still targets VERY nervous.

Yes, the flying stuff is great fun

However much I'd also enjoy shooting flying barns and cars I'd need to practice throwing smaller things a bunch more before I tried it. My left handed throwing is NOT impressive. I end up doing the hustle more often than I'd like to admit from things I threw too straight up and are now coming straight back down aimed directly for the top of my head. Rocks and hard things you can usually shoot and knock out of the way but pop cans give you a nice sticky shower if you shoot them over your head. With barns and cars someone would find me looking like the wicked witch of the west with just my feeting sticking out from under them.
I know I could shoot it a few times before it got me though. :Fire:

Don't get to talk much about this type of shooting cause franky I'm sure people would look at me with sad looks or shout lier lier pants on fire. But it's fun to show every now and then...

44man you ever shoot blades of grass...
It's a fun one to do with people who have not shot with you before.(and not in the air) It's great cause when your shooting the grass blades(tall ones or dried up tumble weeds) the people will almost always ask you what your shooting cause it looks like your not hitting anything at all(shooting crappy). At which time you point your target/s out and shoot off a few more... love the looks.

So now you guys tell me what kinds of shooting "tricks" do you like to pull out of your hat every now and then?

Also what inspired you to start shooting or competing?

I remember seeing a old news broadcast of an older gent who could shoot quarters out of the air with an homemade slingshot and I remember thinking one day I'll do that(not with a sling shot- couldn't hit a barn or a flying car) Happy to say I got the first quarter I shot out of the air sitting in a drawer. (and still a young pup)

So lets keep inspiring others to do things they think couldn't be done.. what you say to that?

9.3X62AL
12-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Fine shooting, and very skilled photography as well. I've hit a few--VERY few--thrown clay targets with a 22 rifle back when I was shooting trap and skeet regularly. My Dad could hit about 15%-20% of the time doing that, he was a SUPERB shooter on moving targets. I could never hold a candle to his skill level, though.

The Burrito Contingent has been known to adjourn to the desert for Tuesday meetings. That sounds like a challenging event to try on our next sojourn eastward.

44man
12-07-2006, 10:12 AM
The one shot that my friends still talk about after over 40 years is the time I wanted to see how far I could blow a dart from a blowgun. I don't remember the distance but it was very far to the garage wall. I huffed a good one and stuck the dart. When we went to get it, it was centered in a fly. I calmly said that I didn't think I could hit it from that far. All of you know it would take a spotting scope to even see the fly but the story is still told.
I always had trouble throwing left handed too. I would hold my Ruger in my left hand, throw a bottle as hard as I could with my right arm, grab the pistol and shoot it out of the air. I had a cheap pellet gun that I removed the sights from. It fit perfect and shot where I looked. I would shoot through the hole in a tossed washer. No one would believe so I would put masking tape over the hole and shoot through it. I was one heck of a shot with a shotgun too. I could let five people shoot at a clay and I could pick it up a foot off the ground after they all missed it. That is all gone now and I can't hit a thing unless it is standing still. The bad thing is that I can't stand still now so the target is still moving. Thank god for sandbags!
All I have are memories and I am glad to see you post such great pictures. It brings back the good old days.

OLPDon
12-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Back in my youth when I use to shoot small bore competition was always pleased to have a fly take a rest on my target they wouldn't stay long so you had to be quick & of course you needed to be practiceing with scope at the time. Was a blast to see the little buggers get hit with something about 300 times there weight. On rare occations I would get a hit at 100 yrs. I shot with alot of other comp. shooter that were young so every now and then you would hear the younger shooters giggle or laugh while on the fireing line and you knew what they were giggleing at. Boy do I sure wish I had the eyes of a 13 to 16 year old again. As it stands now my arms are getting to short to see clearly got to put the cheaters on.

It is said that the Eyes go first and I just can't remember what the second thing to go is. Youth is wasted on the young!!!!!!!!!!!
Don

LAH
12-08-2006, 09:09 AM
NICE>>>>>NICE>>>>>>>>VERY NICE.............Creeker

Junior1942
12-08-2006, 09:40 AM
I used to have a lot of fun with shot capsules in a SBH pistol. Guys couldn't believe I could bust flying bottles with a pistol. I'd tell 'em it just takes lots and lots of practice!!!

Bass Ackward
12-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I say good shooting. Snap shooting with a handgun was always fun. When I was a kid, I used to use a Colt New Fronter and hunt ring necks. Tried snap shootin in a pond awhile back and got embarrased fast.

No place around here to arial shoot anymore either. Here, they go nuts if you rapid fire for fear you let one go over the berm.

Dan in Wa
12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Wish I was young again.......didn't shoot flying targets worth beans, but wish I was young again and could still try.

TedH
12-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Very impressive!

Hunter
12-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Really great shooting with the Buckmark, and great camera work.
I still ain't quite got the hang of skeet with a shotgun but that don't stop me from trying.