PDA

View Full Version : .38 special loads...

375supermag
04-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi...

Yesterday, one of the local gunshop owners "bushwhacked" me and "forced" me to buy a Cimarron 1851 Richards-Mason Open Top cartridge conversion in .38 Special.

I didn't want to buy a new gun...Honest, he made me do it! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

At any rate, I originally planned to load up some .38 special cases with an appropriately light charge of Bullseye under some 158-gr LSWC, of which I have several thousand on hand. These are commercial cast, as I do not cast my own.

It has occurred to me that although these seem to work well in my various .357 revolvers, perhaps they are not the best choice for light loads in an Open Top revolver.

Can anybody have experience with light loads in an Open Top? Is there a different bullet that might be better suited to accuracy or perhaps a different powder that might perform better with light loads?

The sights on this little revolver are fairly primitive and really, really small, so I don't expect 10-ring accuracy at 50 yards, but I would like to wring whatever potential that is there out of this revolver.

Bret4207
04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
I've never even seen such a critter as your new gun, but I would think a light load with a 158ish grain boolit would be a good start. Never know till you try it.

x101airborne
04-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I too know nothing about open tops, but I do know something about the 38 spl. My two favorite loads are 3.2gr bullseye under a 148 WC for 810 fps out of my model 14 single action or 4.0 gr Unique under a 158 SWC for somewhere around 940 fps if my memory serves. Again, this is all by memory, so use caution and work up for your gun.

acemedic13
04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I have not shot any 38's out of an open top either. I do load 158's with international clays and bullseye. The bullseye is a bit more accurate and cleaner, but shoot well and have great accuracy out of all my 38's. My model 15 smith seems to do best with a light load of bullseye and a 158 swc.I'm at work and Cant recall all of the load info off hand.

Good luck and have fun with it, even though you were forced into this unfortunate situation.......

Rocky Raab
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I answered this on the other website where you posted it.

375supermag
04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks, everybody...I truly appreciate the help...