PDA

View Full Version : Need a Magna Star Lube sizer rubber seal. the one in the szier hole.

tackstrp
04-03-2011, 01:01 AM
While pulling the die out i broke the top rubber seal inside the area where the die is inserted. I know that toilit seals can be used for the spring loaded plunger. Can replacemets be found at home depot or lowes. Hate to wait until monday to call Magna Star for a replacement seal..

It was all my fault, Did not read instructions how to remove a sizing die.

cajun shooter
04-03-2011, 09:45 AM
The machine may be used with out a problem if the seal is left out. The original Star was made with out them. Magma installed them to keep the lube from seeping around the sizing die. If you let lathesmith build your dies this will not be a problem as they fit and don't allow seepage to occur. If you feel that they must be in there then most of the big stores such as Lowes,Home Depot, and well stocked Hardware's will have a replacement.

ronbo
04-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Done the same thing with the Magna O-ring, from another post this is the hardware store size O-ring, bring one along to compare.

(#14) 15/16X3/4X3/32

Danco Brand #14 O-rings $2.27 per 10 pak at Home Depot

thegreatdane
04-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Ronbo, that's what I use. I also bought them at HD.

Doby45
04-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't use an O-ring in mine. Just as Cajun Shooter said my dies are lathesmith dies and they do not require the o-ring. There is a place for one, but after cutting enough of them I now run without it and I can tell no difference at all.

tackstrp
04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
interesting. i have the lathe smith snap ring dies. I asked hin if i could just remove the snap ring, and push the entire die thru. The response was he can not reommend, the oil ring seal would get cut on the sharp edges of the die or "Worse" . So I wil follow his advice

HATCH
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I have trashed 3 orings.
The secret to NOT trashing them is to heat the sizer up when you push out the die and to lube the o-ring when you are putting a new one in.
I use bullplate on the o-ring.

Doby45
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
interesting. i have the lathe smith snap ring dies. I asked hin if i could just remove the snap ring, and push the entire die thru. The response was he can not reommend, the oil ring seal would get cut on the sharp edges of the die or "Worse" . So I wil follow his advice

I think you are confused. I would not remove the "snap ring" and push mine on through either, but that has nothing to do with an o-ring. After cutting many o-rings, I simply stopped putting a new one on and my Star runs like a champ with a base heater and Carnuba Red. No leaking of any kind around the die.

tackstrp
04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
lol doby 45 i often get confused. most likely because i have no clue what I am doing at times.