PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shooting the RCBS 44-250 keith

PacMan
04-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Just aquired a nice 44 Special RBH and am looking for a PB Keith bullet/not SWC. The RCBS mold appears to be close by the pictures. I loaded up some Noe 265 GC and Unique and this little gun shows real promise.
Have not sluged the barrel yet but the 265 gr Noe sized at .432 shot one group of 6 into just over an inch at 25 yds. Now for me that is good. Two other groups ran 1 1/2 to 2 inches.

Any way looking for info on the RCBS bullet/none checked.
Thanks
Dwight

That'll Do
04-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I shoot the RCBS bullet in my Lipsey's 44 Special Blackhawk, it's a good bullet. With my alloy, it usually weighs about 260gr.

I have the NOE 249421 and Miha's H&G 503 clone that I still need to try out, I just haven't had the time.

PacMan
04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
That'll Do- what dia does it drop?
I wish i had got hold of one of the Lipsey's when they were readily available.Really nice Rugers. My Special is stainless and i weighed it today against a 6 1/2 .41 mag BH and they weighed the same. smaller yes lighter no. Most of that being steel frame and steel ejector rod housing. Still a real nice gun and shoot's great.

thanks for the reply.
Dwight

sneared
04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I've been shooting the RCBS 44-250K in a 4 in. 44 mag Redhawk. Bullets drop at 0.432 and 258gr using half lino and half lead, water cooled, and lubricated with BAC. I size them to 0.431
I'm still trying to work up a good load and so far have been relatively unsuccessful.
I'm shooting the bullet at around 1200fps. Accuracy is only so-so and I get a fair amount of leading.

I still want to try a different lube, but I'm thinking of going to a GC bullet.

The bullet should be fine for 44 special loads.

Frank

Shuz
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
IMHO, gas checks are not needed in the .44 mag at 1200 fps or slower. Have you slugged your bbl and measured your cylinder throats? The RCBS 44-250K is a fine boolit and can be shot without leading in a .44 mag, using Lars carnuba red, NRA 50/50, and perhaps other lubes, provided the boolit fits the revolver being used. If you don't wish to measure the bbl and throats, try air cooling your boolits instead of quench casting, size to the same .431 diameter, and with the same lube, and use 18g of 2400 and a standard LP primer. Your leading problems just may go away.

msinc
04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I dont own this mold yet but have some bullets that a fellow forum member was nice enough to send me to try. I will say this, a gas checked bullet wont necessarily solve leading problems. I have two S&W revolvers that leaded badly and I tried all the softer alloy/exact sizing/better lubing/slow burning powder tricks known including a few I "thought" up myself, but still got some lead in the pipe. I bit the bullet and ordered the reamers to cut a Taylor throat and 11 degree forcing cone {turns out S&W already used this but it was so rough it needed to be cleaned up.} I now have absolutely zero lead in the barrel after 100 plus rounds out of either gun. One is a 629 the other a 686+, both of which had a forcing cone so rough it looked more like somebody was tryiing to cut a thread. The insides of both bores looked like they had been sandblasted it was so rough. I later learned this is the result of EDM cut rifling. It is sad that S&W's QC has slipped to this level. Some of the best looking bores and forcing cones my borescope has seen are in Rugers.

Larry Gibson
04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I shoot the RCBS 44-250K in all 4 of my .44s (Saur Western Marshal, Colt Anaconda, Ruger 50th Aniversary FT and a Contender 10" barrel shortened to 8.4"). The RCBS bullets shoots every bit as well as my Lyman 429421 I got in '68. The RCBS is a stellar performer in loads from .44 special up through Keith's classic load over 22 gr 2400. The Saur Western Marshal has been retired from magnum loads and I use the 400+ .44 special cases I've accumulated over the years in it. I load the classic "Skeeter" load of the 44-250K over 7.5 gr Unique. They run right at 850 fps out of the 6" barreled revolver, are very pleasant to shoot and are extremely accurate.

I cast them out of newer WWs +2% tin or recovered range lead +2% tin, size them at .230 and lube them with Javelina. I get no leading whatsoever.

Larry Gibson

376Steyr
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
My RCBS 44-250-K drops at .430 with my alloy, I got it up to .431 with some beagling. Must admit it does slip thru my .432 Star sizing die nicely. I can hardly complain, seeing how RCBS says its supposed to be a .430 diameter. It shoots as good as I can hold in my Lipsey .44 Special. If you get one, I bet you won't be disappointed with it.

Frank V
04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I am using that mould & it casts beautiful bullets. I use mostly Unique & it's a very accurate bullet & hits with authority. I like it!
Frank

PS: for the last two years I've been using SPG lube for all handgun bullets & it works great. I shoot BP now & then & decided to try the SPG for everything, it's working well for me.
FV

PacMan
04-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the replys from all.

I felt it was most likely a good bullet.

Thanks
Dwight

That'll Do
04-04-2011, 09:58 PM
That'll Do- what dia does it drop?
I wish i had got hold of one of the Lipsey's when they were readily available.Really nice Rugers. My Special is stainless and i weighed it today against a 6 1/2 .41 mag BH and they weighed the same. smaller yes lighter no. Most of that being steel frame and steel ejector rod housing. Still a real nice gun and shoot's great.

thanks for the reply.
Dwight

Dwight, mine drops at around .431-.432, depending on alloy. It's a really nice boolit, and RCBS molds are nice to cast with.

Ruger is now making the "Lipsey" guns a regular production item. My local gun shop always seems to have them in stock. To me, it's a the perfect single action pistol...just load the RCBS 44-250-K over 7.5gr of Unique (the "Skeeter Load"), and there isn't much that can't be done with it.