PDA

View Full Version : new brass prep

jacob7
04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Getting a 1874 45-70 sharps soon and am trying to get details nailed down. Question is with new brass (never fired) do they have to be fired once to get started or just full sized? Thanks

John Traveler
04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
The rule is to full-length size new brass to make sure they chamber and have proper neck tension.

Thereafter, most BPCR reloaders rely on neck-sizing only for best accuracy and consistency for competition shooting, with periodic full-length resizing only as needed for easy chambering.

gunplumber
04-03-2011, 01:12 PM
one thing i have noticed, i bought 200 new remington 45/70 brass, sized, loaded and fired them then measured the lenth after firing and they all averaged .010 short so all have since been sized and streached and trimmed to square the mouth to match the chamber of my high wall.

since then i neck size only enough to give enough neck tension to hold the boolit in place

Al_sway
04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I have never full length sized new brass and I have never had a problem with feeding or accuracy. The only thing that might do is run the mouths through an expander if they are really dented. Since, with .45-70, you need to bell them, this takes care of this step.
I don't believe there is a rule, just personal preference.
After the first firing I will trim all to a common length.

montana_charlie
04-07-2011, 12:24 PM
There are a couple of reliable methods of making a cast or a pounded impression of your chamber and it's throat.
You should do that before you ever trim any metal off of a case, as in most instances your brass will already be too short after it is fired.

CM

Dan Cash
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
+1 on montana charlie's advice. Much of the new brass is too short before it is fired. A neat little gizmo sold by Buffalo Arms, http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,484.html
will make your brass fit perfectly. It surely ended my leading at the chamber throat. I also load for my shooting partner and his gun's chamber is quite different from mine so I can taylor the brass to the gun.

EOD3
04-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Ya know, I've never had a new piece of brass from a major manufacturer that wouldn't fit into a properly sized chamber. I run the case neck into a size die just to make sure it's round. A full-length resizing can only set back the shoulder which WILL shorten the useful life of the brass. If you feel compelled to wear suspenders and belt, neck size a few cases and run them through the chamber. If you ever find one that won't allow the bolt to close, call Ripley. .02/YMMV

dragonrider
04-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Full length size and then check the length, trim if needed, I have had lots of new brass that needed to be trimmed, also have had a lot that was short.

montana_charlie
04-09-2011, 12:54 PM
a full-length resizing can only set back the shoulder which will shorten the useful life of the brass.
45/70?

i have had lots of new brass that needed to be trimmed.
45/70?

Cm

EOD3
04-09-2011, 03:47 PM
45/70?

45/70?

Cm

Is there ANY CHANCE you didn't understand the shoulder setback I mentioned was directed at bottle-neck cartridge cases?

Gunlaker
04-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Is there ANY CHANCE you didn't understand the shoulder setback I mentioned was directed at bottle-neck cartridge cases?

To be fair, the entire thread is about .45-70 cases in a Sharps rifle.

My $0.02 to the original poster... I've loaded thousands of rounds of .45-70 and similar cases. With the exception of one rifle I own that was purposefully chambered to use brass shorter than 2.10", I've never ever bought new .45-70 brass that was too long. Regardless of brass manufacturer. Follow Montana Charlie's advice. Load 'em and shoot. Trim only after they've been fireformed. Generally the brass will shrink after the first firing.

Chris.

montana_charlie
04-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Is there ANY CHANCE you didn't understand
No chance at all.
As a matter of fact, I twice decided to just say nothing.

But, jacob7 sounds like he is absolutely brand new at the whole game.
I figured he has so many new things to sort out, it would be a shame if he spends time wondering about a set back shoulder on his straight-walled cases ... while trying to 'close the bolt' on a Sharps falling block.

I'm hoping he has been steered away from that confusion by now.

CM

EOD3
04-10-2011, 01:42 PM
No chance at all.
As a matter of fact, I twice decided to just say nothing.

But, jacob7 sounds like he is absolutely brand new at the whole game.
I figured he has so many new things to sort out, it would be a shame if he spends time wondering about a set back shoulder on his straight-walled cases ... while trying to 'close the bolt' on a Sharps falling block.

I'm hoping he has been steered away from that confusion by now.

CM

ANYONE fool enough to not know the difference between bottle-neck cartridge cases and straight-wall cases has no business playing with anything more dangerous than a crayon.

I know full-well what the bug-up-your-butt is and I'm sick of it. Just put me on your ignore list and you won't have to listen to any more common sense. I'll add you to mine and I won't have to listen to your drivel... :bootgive:

montana_charlie
04-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Just put me on your ignore list and you won't have to listen ...
I think not.
Some of what you write is useful information.

bigted
04-11-2011, 11:32 PM
like mom used ta say...." you boys play nice!" this new feller is just asking questions and needs direction not distraction.

by the way "jacob7" welcome to the forum and have a good time here as we all do. you will sort this out and like has been mentioned...there is everybody elses way and then the way you choose to do it...accuracy will be learned with the helpfull hints from some or most of these sometimes crusty farts...[myself included]...have a hoot here and ask then read as the answer will always be there...if clouded in smelly stuff from time to time.

GOOD SHOOTING SIR AND AGAIN...WELCOME !

jacob7
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses. Yes I am very new to all of this and learning everyday. I do need different opinions so I can pick which ones to follow. So all are welcome. Thanks.