PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Sharps in .38-55 information desired

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 06:10 PM
I broke down and ordered the Lyman Sharps in .38-55 today. I saw an advertisement in Rifle magazine this last issue. I find it is made by Chiappa. Here is a link to a GunsAmeraica video. http://www.gunsamerica.com/video/19/188.htm

Does anyone have one and if so what do you have to say about it? I certainly would like to hear your thoughts on it and the caliber, too, if you're willing to share. I suspect others might also.

Thanks. [smilie=w:

Froggfuzz

excess650
04-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I just googled "Lyman Products" and found it. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/idealsharps.php

It is the "little Sharps" which is a scaled down version of the '74 Sharps. This particlar version is offered in 38-55 and 22 Hornet w/26" barrel and weighs 6#. If it were full sized, it would weigh at least 9#. It should make for a good hunting rifle.

As for the 38-55, it has been around and used for a target cartridge since the 1870s. It was the later, longer version of the 38-50 Ballard cartridge, and originally loaded with blackpowder and paper patched bullets. The 38-55 was used both in singleshots and lever actions. I've owned a couple LAs and SSs in 38-55 and can attest to ease of finding accurate combinations. Its not a high velocity round, but an excellent cast bullet round.

Original groove diameters and rifling twists are on the order of .380" and 1-20" vs modern .376" groove and quicker twists. My Douglas barrel is 1-16", Badger 1-15" and my rebored Savage 1899 was cut 1-12" by mistake as I had specified 1-16". I've shot the 150gr Lyman 37583 up through the 335gr Lyman semispitzer with excellent results.

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks excess650; I appreciate the information.

For starters, though I cast for about 40 calibers, I don't have a mould for a .38-55 and so have ordered 500 Oregon Trail 240 grain RNFP plain base boolits at .380" diameter. Also on order are RCBS Cowboy dies and 100 cases.

I do have experience with the .32-40 in an 1894 Winchester and also in an 1893 Marlin.

Any additional information regarding loads will be appreciated.

Again, many thanks.

Froggfuzz

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 07:51 PM
BTW excess650 and anyone else note the link to a GunsAmerica video in the original post, which I edited and updated with that link ( http://www.gunsamerica.com/video/19/188.htm ) as well as the info that it is produced by Chiappa.

Froggfuzz

Trey45
04-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm loading 10 grains of Unique under a Lee hardcast 250gr bullet from their mold here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=476-137

This is a very accurate plinking load which produces around 1000fps. I use the Star Line 38-55 2.125" brass.

My full snort loads use the same bullet and brass with 35gr of IMR4895 which produces around 1600 to 1700 fps.

Not the same bullet weight as you will be using, not the same rifle either. My Buffalo Classic does exceptionally well with both of the above listed loads.

Green Frog
04-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I had their demo sample in my hands at last year's NRA show and I liked what I saw. I didn't get to shoot it, of course, but I liked my initial impression. If I were loading for that fairly light rifle, though, I think I would look hard at Lyman's 375248 bullet which runs about 250 gr +/-. I've even shot it in a repro Maynard with good results and without severe recoil. JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Trey45,

Thank you for your input. I will follow up with that mould and your suggested loads, though I probably won't hunt with it; I just want to shoot target and do load development.

I queried Lyman's customer service for the barrel specs, which they advertise as "Lyman barrel specifications"...whatever they are...I've asked them for groove and bore dimensions and rate of twist. also, i asked for their suggestions for a mould, based on their other customers input. If they reply, I will post their answers here.

Again, thanks.

Froggfuzz

I've just found that they have a 1-16 twist. According to the Lyman website:

Overall length: 42"
Weight: 6 lbs
Rate of Twist: 1 in 18"
Barrel length: 26"

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Green Frog,

Thank you also for your input. Great forum and wonderful cooperation! I like the idea of light loads. I'm 66 years old with bad shoulders (one repaired) and I don't really like a lot of recoil anymore.

I'll look into your mould suggestion. what propellants (dang near typed powder; a near faux pas of monstrous proportions!) and charge weights do you use?

Thanks again,

Another froggie, Froggfuzz

excess650
04-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I took another look at Lyman's site and they list the rifle as 6# in one place and 8# a few lines below.:?: They also list the twist at 1-18", but don't specify bore and groove diameter.

There was an article in Handloader or Rifle that included the "little Sharps". What reminds me was some wording and lack of proofreading in the article that aggravated me. It was a Mike Venturino article.....and that article may shed some light on barrel dimensions, weight, etc.

If its a 6# rifle you'll want to work with lighter weight boolits. The Lyman 375248 should be a good choice provided that the groove diameter isn't larger than about .377". I suspect that the action will handle more pressure than your shoulder will tolerate, so no need for GC designs. Likewise, the slow twist should be pretty tolerant of soft boolits provided the rifling isn't too shallow.

If you like the idea if light loads, my notes include the 37583 (150gr?) over 4.0gr Clays shooting sub 1" at 50 yards with iron sights, and being very quiet. This would be a backyard pest or plinking type load.

I think I still have a target shot with a Marlin 1893 with the Lyman 375248 over 8gr Unique that was just a ragged hole at 50 yards. That should be around 1100fps, and was very soft recoiling.

blackpowder man
04-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I have used Aliiant 2400, IMR SR 4759, IMR 3031, and goex FFg, and FFFg all with good results. Second the Lee mold. Boolits are accurate in my 1885 high wall and '94 big bore with both smokeless and black.

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
trey45,

I meant to ask you about the case length you use. I note Starline has both the 2.080" and the 2.125", which you use. Why? Is it solely determined by chamber length? What are the things I should consider, besides making it a point to ask Lyman/Chiappa about their chamber length and what they suggest as a case length.

Froggfuzz

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 10:45 PM
excess650,

I noted that discrepancy too, but chalked it up to rifle weight vs shipping weight. The rifle in the hands of the guy from GunsAmerica looks like a BB gun size. I definitely won't be shooting heavy loads in it, whether it's 6 or 8 pounds.

thanks for the load information. It appears I need to hit my back issues on the Venturino article.

Froggfuzz

Froggfuzz
04-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Blackpowder man,

Thank you also for your input, especially regarding seconding the Lee mould suggestion. Also, I like 3031 for cast in the .30-30 and find it accurate in 20.5 grain charges behind a plain base 170 gr. boolit. Should do well in the .38-55, too, and apparently does as per your note.

Froggfuzz

Trey45
04-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Froggfuzz,

The 2.125" is the original length case for this caliber. I don't know the history of why or when, but somewhere along the line rifle compnaies began chambering their 38-55's with the short 2.080 chambers. This is pure speculation, but I bet it has something to do with Winchester making the brass for the 38-55 by expanding 30-30 brass. Originally, 30-30 was 38-55 necked down and trimmed. 30-30 is the more popular round now, so when the dies cut the brass, I bet they tried to save a little tooling money and decided to use the 30-30 brass cutting dies they already had, and just shortened the brass length of the 38-55 in the process. As stated, this is all speculation on my part, but it sure sounds good!

I'd lay odds that your Lyman sharps is a short chamber length, Shiloh Sharps have a short chambers which your rifle is patterned after. Try a chamber casting to be sure.

Froggfuzz
04-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Trey45,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'd better drag Ken Waters out of the bookcase and do some reading.

The info on the .30-30 having been adapted from the .38-55 is interesting. That is exactly how I make my .32-40 cases. I size .30-30 and .32 special cases down. The shorter length does not seem to have any adverse effects on the .32-40. i just load low to moderate, mid-range loads anyway, being a wimp when it comes to recoil. Anyway, no deer I ever shot with those wimpy loads ever complained.

BTW, I'll my $$$ that your assumption about the reason for the shorter chamber length is correct. That's not cynicism on my part; it's just good business sense on their part. Wonder what the length of the Ballard .38-55 was. I'll bet it too was the longer length. Maybe Ken waters will tell me.

Have a good one, and thanks again for your time and info.

Froggfuzz

Crash_Corrigan
04-03-2011, 11:01 AM
A buddy of mine just bought a 38-55 C. Sharps rifle and it is a beauty. Stainless Steel action and reciever and octagonal barrel. With a decent set of Vernier Sights it is a tack driver at 200 yds so far.

A joy to shoot with 330 GR Creedmoor style boolits over Swiss 1 1/2 Black Powder. Low recoil and with a set of double triggers the firing trigger (front) is a very light pull. I surprised me and I wasted two shot that went off before I was ready to shoot. He bought it offa Gun Broker and it was listed as used. Although I could not find any evidence that it had been fired previously.

It is so pretty that he is going to have it engraved.

This is a modern one made up in Montana recently and he stole it at the price he paid.

GabbyM
04-03-2011, 04:08 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=3597

I like this Saeco tapered bullet for single shot rifles. You can load it out long to give a bit more room in the case. This is the 255 grain bullet. The base cast .382” to fit the large bore rifles.

Froggfuzz
04-03-2011, 05:40 PM
GabbyM,

Thanks for the picture and the advice. May I ask your alloy and what the expanded boolit struck. I hope it was a big buck and you got speed beef in the fridge now. And should you care to divulge it, what load and what rifle??

Regards,

Froggfuzz

Froggfuzz
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Crash corrigan,

Thanks for the input. I've been to Big Timber and visited the Shiloh Sharps and C. Sharps plants. Got the royal tour and was very impressed with the workmanship. Old world style workmanship with modern tooling. Also visited Ballard in Cody. Ditto there. Unfortunately I was ejected from all three as I was drooling on the metal and had the windows all fogged.

Froggfuzz

doubs43
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Froggfuzz, I just shot a "Buffalo" steel target match two days ago. My rifle is a Winchester (Miroku) 1885 Limited Edition Traditional Hunter in 38-55. It has a 1:18 twist and I size my boolits at either .377 or .378". I see no difference in their performance.

I use two boolits in my rifle: the Lyman 248 grain and the RCBS 312 BPS. The Lyman boolit is almost exactly the advertised 248 grains while the RCBS boolit runs about 315 grains.

At 100, 150 and 200 yards the Lyman 248 grain boolit takes the steel targets down easily. I use Winchester cases and recoil is pretty light with my load of 2.5 grains of WW-231 and 34.0 grains of WC-860.

I use the same load in 2.125" Starline cases and the RCBS boolit. The 40 pound steel rams at 350 yards go down but recoil is somewhat stiffer with the heavier boolit.

The crescent butt plate of the Winchester doesn't soften the recoil one bit but the shotgun butt plate on your Lyman rifle should help. IMO, the 38-55 is a great cartridge and you're going to love it.

BTW, I finished second in the match, one target behind the winner.

Froggfuzz
04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
doubs43,

Thanks to you for the info. Lyman (to no one's surprise) recommended that 378248 bullet, saying it performed well in their testing.

Did I read your load data correctly for 231 - 2.5 grains?

My buddy has a rifle identical to yours and will appreciate your information, too.

Lyman also told me that the specs for the bore diameter is .378" and the advertisement says 1-18" twist.

You are the second person to suggest the longer Starline cases. Why do you use the longer ones as opposed to the 2.080" cases? Does the 1885 have a longer chamber? Did you do a Cerrosafe cast of it?

I have 30 new W-W cases given to me by the buddy with the 1885 and they are the shorter 2.080" cases, which I am sure will fit the Lyman. I will have to check my chamber to see if I can accommodate the longer cases. I do like Starline cases, but note that Starline is waiting for sufficient orders to run either or both of the case lengths in .35-55.

With my shooting ability (due mostly to a cataract floater dead center in the pupil of my right eye - the master eye), I have problems using my receiver (peep) sights, but have an eye appt. soon and intend to discuss what can be done.

I am hoping to be able to shoot 200 yards like the old timers with the Lyman Sharps. While I know it's not a target rifle, per se, I am hoping that I can at least hit my gongs at 200 yards in a regular fashion. According to your results in that match, it is possible and without a lot of punishment to my rotator cuff injury.

Congratulations on your win, and again, thanks for the information.

Best wishes,

Froggfuzz

GabbyM
04-05-2011, 07:50 AM
GabbyM,

Thanks for the picture and the advice. May I ask your alloy and what the expanded boolit struck. I hope it was a big buck and you got speed beef in the fridge now. And should you care to divulge it, what load and what rifle??

Regards,

Froggfuzz

I cast the bullets but a member LoneWolf shot those. Mashed up bullet had passed through a deer which was standing in front of a tree. He dug the bullet out of the tree. Deer was DRT. I think 75 yards. He shoots a long barrel Handi rifle and loads it up with 375 Win data. Full charge of 3031 for an estimated 1,800 fps or so. The plain based bullets do just fine with very small groups and no leading. The alloy was pretty soft for the velocity IIRC a BHN#9.

All the data and story was embedded in the photo under the properties field. Now I’ve “upgraded” to Windows 7 and can’t read the text boxes embedded in photos anymore.

I don’t know how strong the mini Sharps action is. If it was me, just for fun, I’d be shooting a BP load then a duplex load if I wanted more power. But I do know the amount of 3031 he had in the case was dependant upon the bullet being seated out long. Lonewolfs Handy rifle is one of the first ones with the black powder bore dimensions so most of the gas checked bullets won’t fit the fat bore. The Saeco tapered does. They make them in three weights.
For targets or BPCR something like the big Lyman 378674 is an obvious candidate. I’ve heard the big bullets step up felt recoil quite a bit but have not tried one. If I owned a Sharps I’d want one of the big Postal style bullets for long range targets for sure.

If you have a .375” bore the tapered bullet won’t do much good as the first band under the crimp grove is .375” then the last two bands are .382”.

Froggfuzz
04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey GabbyM,

Again thanks. Lyman tells me that they spec'd the bore to .378". I have some Meister bullets given by a friend. They mic .3795" and if Lyman is correct should do fine. I have .380 Oregon Trail ordered, and a Lyman 375248 ordered. Just for grins and giggles, I think I may start with a low-end dose of 3031 because it shoots well in my .30-30 Model 94 carbine and the .38-55 case is fairly close. I'm going to cast the 375248 Lyman softer because I do NOT plan to stress either the rifle or me. Lyman suggests keeping the smokeless loads within SAAMI specs for factory-loaded .38-55 ammo not .375 Winchester ammo.

That's in keeping with what I want. Most of my shooting will probably be done to shoot those tough ol' paper targets and my gongs. If I do deer hunt with it, here in central PA typical ranges are short and a 250 grain bullet at 1200 - 1400 FPS should penetrate a typical whitetail stem to stern if using a Texas heart shot or port to starboard for us Easterners. Given the journey taken by your bullet in the photo, it would be similar to my eliminating the tree and penetrating the deer only.

Regards and best wishes,

Froggfuzz

doubs43
04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
doubs43,

Thanks to you for the info. Lyman (to no one's surprise) recommended that 378248 bullet, saying it performed well in their testing.

I have two 38-55 rifles; the Winchester High Wall and a Winchester 1894 Oliver F. Winchester Commemorative. The 248 grain Lyman boolit shoots great in both.

Did I read your load data correctly for 231 - 2.5 grains?

Yes. It is loaded first and once ignited by a standard large rifle primer, it helps to get the WC-860 powder that's loaded on top of it burning. The WC-860 is a surplus 50 caliber MG ball powder that is very slow. Recoil is more a shove than a sharp slap and velocity with the RCBS 312 BPS boolit (actual weight 318 grains) is in the 1350 fps range. I first began my duplex loads using AA-8700 which is no longer available. I load WC-860 as a direct substitute grain-for-grain and have not had to change my sight settings even a little.

My buddy has a rifle identical to yours and will appreciate your information, too.

Lyman also told me that the specs for the bore diameter is .378" and the advertisement says 1-18" twist.

You are the second person to suggest the longer Starline cases. Why do you use the longer ones as opposed to the 2.080" cases? Does the 1885 have a longer chamber? Did you do a Cerrosafe cast of it?

If your groove diameter is .378" then a boolit of .379 or .380" would likely give best accuracy but you won't know until you actually try them. Both of my Winchester rifles have a 1:18 twist.

I use Winchester (2.080") cases for the 248 grain Lyman boolit and the Starline (2.125") cases for the longer RCBS boolit. That allows me to use the same powder charge for both boolits. In the 1885, the RCBS boolit engages the rifling for a few thousands of an inch while the Lyman boolit is off the lands a few thousands. I have not taken a chamber cast of either rifle. I only us the Lyman boolit in the 1894.

I do weigh my boolits before sizing and lubing. I keep them in groups of 1 grain with one group as a center and a group on either side; e.g., my center group may be 247.0 ~ 247.9 with 246.0 ~ 246.9 and 248.0 ~ 248.9 as the bracketing groups. Any boolits falling outside those groups go back in the pot. For a match, I load only boolits from one group. Some shooters keep their boolits even tighter in weight and Mike Venturino writes that his are kept within .6 grains.

I have 30 new W-W cases given to me by the buddy with the 1885 and they are the shorter 2.080" cases, which I am sure will fit the Lyman. I will have to check my chamber to see if I can accommodate the longer cases. I do like Starline cases, but note that Starline is waiting for sufficient orders to run either or both of the case lengths in .35-55.

I bought my last Starline 2.125" cases from Track of the Wolf. Unless you plan on shooting the longer and heavier boolits in your Sharps, the short cases should work just fine. A friend has a Rolling Block in 38-55 and shoots a Lyman 264 grain gas check boolit cast from wheel weights. They drop from his mold about at 278 grains. He uses AA-2015 powder and every ram he hits at 350 yards goes down with authority. He uses the short cases.

With my shooting ability (due mostly to a cataract floater dead center in the pupil of my right eye - the master eye), I have problems using my receiver (peep) sights, but have an eye appt. soon and intend to discuss what can be done.

I am hoping to be able to shoot 200 yards like the old timers with the Lyman Sharps. While I know it's not a target rifle, per se, I am hoping that I can at least hit my gongs at 200 yards in a regular fashion. According to your results in that match, it is possible and without a lot of punishment to my rotator cuff injury.

Congratulations on your win, and again, thanks for the information.

Best wishes, Froggfuzz

Good luck with your eye appointment. Finding a load that will stay on a gong at 200 yards should not be difficult. The 38-55 is a wonderful cartridge IMO and great fun to shoot.

Best Regards,
doubs43

Froggfuzz
04-05-2011, 09:31 PM
doubs43,

Thanks for being so specific and answering my every question. You have provided me with a wealth of information. Thanks too for your good wishes. I will be in touch and post my results as I soon as I get the rifle and try at least the first couple of loads.

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

Froggfuzz

wgr
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
the 30-30 brass is shorter than the 38-55

kcajeel
04-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Gabby M,

Do you have the number of the tapered Saeco mold?
I'll pass that information to a friend that's looking for such an item.

Thanks, Jack

GabbyM
04-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Gabby M,

Do you have the number of the tapered Saeco mold?
I'll pass that information to a friend that's looking for such an item.

Thanks, Jack

It's the 255 grain Saeco #738 . As I stated they make it in three weights. 225 , 255 and 300 grain. Find them on Saeco's traditional Mould chart.

For a single shot with a large diameter black powder spec barrel they IMHO are about as good as you can get for a hunting bullet. Since they are RNFP.
A straight tin lead alloy at 16 or 20 to one would be te best to hunt with.

3031 woirks realy well in the 38-55 or a duplex laod with BP for the smoke.

My gas checked Lyman #375449 will only make a .377" bullet.

I think BRP moulds has some nice 380" bullets on there list. IIRC

mroliver77
04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Ranch Dog has a great 235gr boolit for the .375/38-55. He now offers it in gas check or plain base.Here is a pic of mine cast in 30-1 before and after downing a 300lb hog through the boiler room.1400fps out of 1895 made Marlin Lever.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/mroliver77/DSC00174.jpg

Buckshot
04-21-2011, 02:56 AM
http://www.fototime.com/D2244CBB5698496/standard.jpg

In the above photo is my M93 Marlin in 38-55. The small target is pretty representative as to what it'll do accuracy wise, without any special reloading prep work. That's 5 rounds in the 10 ring of a 100 yard slow fire small bore target. Cases at the time were the 2.080", Winchester headstamp. Load was 16.0grs of 2400 and the Saeco 225gr tapered FNFB. Saeco's offers 3 tapered PBFN slugs. They're 225gr, 255gr, and 300gr and are all the same design, just longer then the previous.

This Marlin also does well with the 250gr Lee. I shoot this slug 'as cast' at just a tad over .380". The Saeco's (I have all 3 sizes) drop at .382" and are sized .381". With a twist of 18" I doubt ou'll be able to utilze the 300gr slug. This Marlin and my Uberti Hi-Wall in 38-55 both have 16" twists and 300-310grs is about as heavy as they'll stabilize. Both the Marlin and the Uberti will chamber the original length 2.125" cases, and if your new Sharps will also I suggest that you use that length.

http://www.fototime.com/A5FB7FF036841E2/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/60E6988607F591E/standard.jpg

LEFT: 38-55 cartidge loaded with 48.3 grs GOEX 3Fg .030 cardwad and 0.200" compression. Bullet is swaged of 20-1 weighs 296.4grs and has a .225" deep HP. Paper is .0017" tracing paper and the OD is .3813". This round was chambered, locked up, and then ejected to check engraving at this OAL. You can see the engraving on the boolit and patch. RIGHT: More of the same as at left. Loaded in the 2-1/8" Starline cases.

................Buckshot

GabbyM
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM
WOW Buckshot those swaged PP’d bullets have a serious cool factor.
Holy black to boot.

Hogpost
05-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Just bought an OF Winchester Commemorative in 38-55, and eagerly looking forward to shooting it with BP, but it won't be here for a week. Lots of good info on this post, thanks all!
Doubs43, maybe you can give me some advance info:
1. Will your OFW chamber take the longer 1.125 Starline brass? Intend to start with the RCBS 37-250, and would like it as close to the rifling as I can get.
2. If so, any problems feeding with the longer round?
3. If you slugged your OFW, what did it measure?

doubs43
05-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Just bought an OF Winchester Commemorative in 38-55, and eagerly looking forward to shooting it with BP, but it won't be here for a week. Lots of good info on this post, thanks all!
Doubs43, maybe you can give me some advance info:
1. Will your OFW chamber take the longer 1.125 Starline brass? Intend to start with the RCBS 37-250, and would like it as close to the rifling as I can get.
2. If so, any problems feeding with the longer round?
3. If you slugged your OFW, what did it measure?

Yes, the chamber on my Oliver F. Winchester Commemorative will accept the longer Starline cases (2.125"). As long as the cartridge OAL is kept at the proper length, they will also feed through the action OK.

I haven't done a chamber cast but all my boolits are sized .378" and I shoot the same loads in my Winchester Hi-Wall as well as in the OFW lever rifle. I do load some of the Starline long brass with the RCBS-312-BPS boolit that is pointed and too long to feed through the tube but that's good because they would be dangerous in the tube with that boolit design. I have fed them singly and they work just fine that way. The RCBS-312-BPS is an excellent design for longer distances. I use it for 350 yard rams with excellent success.

Hogpost
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Cool, thanks; now I can load some first rounds while tapping my toes waiting.
(All I have to do is find some Starline long brass...)

Irascible
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't think that any factory chambered for the short case length as this would have opened up a can of lawyer worms when some one tried to fire an original cartridge. The shorter case length came about when W-W introduced the collector lever guns in 32-40 and 38-55. Just a manufacturing and money saving change.
I have 4 38-55s. A M94 SRC, A Ruger #1(factory), a Browning 1885 TH and a Marlin 336 Cowboy. They all take the longer case available now from Starline (thanks Starline). They all have different size bores with special moulds needed for the M94 .379, The Ruger .3805 and the Marlin .380. A standard mould from RCBS works extremely well in the Browning .378. A custom mould for the Ruger and M94 came from LBT. I'm still working on the Marlin. You will need to slug your bore.
I tend to shoot hotter loads at long ranges of 200-300 yds. My favorite powders are Rel 7 and H322.

Dlafoe
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I just bought the Lyman mini last week (38-55), haven't shot it yet. Fit and finish, wood, are decent enough. The #2 tang sight that came with it was a mess though. Riser post installed backwards and seized. I had to completely disassemble it (watch out for those spring-loaded ball bearings!), file it down to smooth operation, nice now that it's correct. I need to look at the twist with a rod yet, but the rifling seems verrrry shallow. I'll slug it and see what I get. I broke down and bought a box of the Winchester 250g factory loads ($$$$) for initial shooting ( which then I can reload). I querried Lyman about hotter loads (1600-1700fps) within SAAMI specs, they replied it was safe to max SAAMI, but since they didn't know what those are, they couldn't recomend them. That Winchester factory load should be perfectly adequate at reasonable
iron site distance. Nice gun- hope it shoots well!

Dlafoe
02-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Slugs at 0.375, there is a bit of play in the breech block as well. I pulled the block to clean after I bought it and it appears to have been factory-fired.

Dlafoe
04-06-2012, 12:32 AM
The breech block broke after only 6 shots (maybe on the first shot?).
I sent it back to Chiappa in Ohio and asked for a replacement
rifle. Nice concept, but poorly executed.:groner:

wgr
04-06-2012, 01:47 AM
30-30 brass is shorter than 2.080. the weight differances could be in the cal. the 22 would be heaver

Kenny Wasserburger
04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Save your hard earned dollars get a Shiloh or if cant afford that a C'Sharps 75 in 38-55 you will be Tons happier!

KW
The Lunger

rbertalotto
04-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Do any of the "Sharps" manufactures make a downsized Sharps?

I know Pedersoli makes one in 22RF and 17HMR. But I believe Chiappa is the only one making a "mini"???

I have the opportunity to buy a Lyman Ideal in 38-55 for $1050, brand new in the box..............I have a full size Sharps in 45-70, but I really like the 80% version. I've held it and heavily fondled one at a gun show, but not shot one.

Looking forward to some accuracy reports.

WinMike
04-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Hmmmm.....I'm thinking if I want the Lyman/Chiappa Sharps and find one, I should buy it. I don't see it in their latest catalog, and I find it on some websites, but not others.....are they still selling it?

rbertalotto
04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, I just ordered one through by local gun shop.