PDA

View Full Version : Hollow-base bullets?

Stevie
04-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Newby..newby..nneewby![smilie=f:

New here at least..and I do have some BP/BP sub cartridge loading, and some bullet casting experience.

I've recently gathered the stuff to cast bullets for and reload the .45-70 cartridge for my genuine 1881 made 1873 Trapdoor rifle.

The mold I purchased is a LEE 405gr hollowbase single cavity(forgot the bullet number). I have not used it yet...just pulled it from the box and eye-balled it....checked to see just how the baseplug part works and such.

This mold casts a grease groove bullet of a supposed .459..has a fairly substantial hollowbase.

I've been casting all flatbase bullets..greasegroove..although some I've been known to paperpatch to get them up to Martini Henry size...have never used hollowbase bullets at all.

The .45-70 load I have in mind consists of about 60-65gr volume of Pyrodex RS with a tuft of shredded cottonball and the groove lubed hollowbase bullet....But I have not made any...or ever loaded a .45-70 in my entire life(looks lots easier than a .577/.450)

Basicaly I was wondering about stuffing the hollowbase with extra lube and just protecting the powder with a card on top my tuft of cotton.

Looks sound enough from a safty standpoint..but having a card stuck to the base of the bullet may not be good for accuracy. What should I do with my hollowbase bullets..and any recomendations for a simple Trapdoor .45-70 load for me to ponder?

Thanx..Stevie.

kodiak1
04-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Stevie shoot them.
I don't know a thing about your powder choice but ai do have the same mold for a remington roller and it works great in it. My roller needs a bullet .460 and that hollow base plumps up nicely and it shoots fantastic with 65 grs. of ffg and a .030 wad.

Ken.

EDK
04-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Go to www.the45-70book.com for Wolf's Western Traders. It is considered a classic for black powder and original 45/70 Springfields....IIRC they did sell some reloading accessories you'll need.

Kenny Wasserburger
04-02-2011, 10:43 PM
EDK gave you about the best advice you can have for your trapdoor loading.

The Saeco 1881 govt Bullet mould is also one of the best choices when it comes to a Trapdoor for shooting. Paul Jones also used to make a Frankford Arsenal Mould that shoots very well in every 45-70 I have ever seen. I won one such mould at Pala Regional Silhouette match back in 2000 and its still one of the best bullets for a 45-70.

KW
The Lunger

Stevie
04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys...I got busy this weekend..and didn't get far on the .45-70 project...no bullets cast..no cases resized...nothing. Just a strange weekend.

I'll get me some bullets cast...and cases resized and primed...probably be back with more questions.

EDK
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys...I got busy this weekend..and didn't get far on the .45-70 project...no bullets cast..no cases resized...nothing. Just a strange weekend........................................... .........................................

Welcome to our world. Time is usually at a premium. Mom flew back home from Boise ID via Southwest Air Lines. Instead of arriving at 9PM Saturday, it was 1AM Sunday morning. Yesterday SWMBO bugged me into driving 90 miles to a restaraunt she had wanted to try...got there at 4; d*** few road signs to get there!....they closed at 3. The smorgasbord we stopped at in Chester IL (home of Popeye the sailor) was great.

In that English Literature class we slept through, Thoreau said "the average man lives a life of quiet desperation."

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Stevie
04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm going to cast slugs today...and will soon have a few hollow base bullets to play with.

Trying to get re-energized/jazzed up for the project....but the end of the school year..kids activitys..tax-man..and a thousand other things are sucking up my time and money!