PDA

View Full Version : Loading and sighting dilemma?

Canuck Bob
04-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I've always been a hunter who practiced with full bore loads. In setting up my guns once a load was developed the sights were fine tuned and that load never varied. That way my rifle was always ready for duty.

Now as I'm watching snow fall yet again, due I'm sure to rampant global warming, some ideas crept into my head.

With my 32-20 Winoku I want it ready for duty with 2 loads, one hi-vel and one real quiet subsonic. Scoping this rifle is not going to happen in my lifetime.

One idea was to cut a second dovetail and install a couple of folding barrel sights. Or perhaps a folding barrel sight and a tang sight.

The rifle is a take down and the feature will get used to transport the rifle a lot so I expect the POI may wander with the tang sight and barrel movement. The machining is very well done however.

Anyone tried this or seen something done like it?

Red River Rick
04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Canuck Bob:

I'm not sure what the cost would be, but I'd imagine something like this would work, only with fewer leafs.

:drinks:

RRR

Canuck Bob
04-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I wondered about these. The Marble's one is horrible expensive though! I did searched up some options.

Buffalo Arms has one's from Smith and Red River that include a sight and the ladder together kinda like a Lee Enfield sight. The sight could be filed for a light load up close and the ladder set for a hi-vel load at various ranges. The BA site notes that the Red River version might be delicate. I think they call it a repro of a weak design with no warranty.

The express sights seem real high and do not use the dovetail. They don't allow independent and easy sight adjustment being designed for the same load at different distances.

I suppose a guy could work on developing the light load to impact at the same windage line and then file a notch for setting elevation.

KCSO
04-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Try your reloads first if you juggle them right you should be able to get one load to print dead on at 50 feet to 20 yards with the same sight setting as the full load at 100 yards. It takes some work but it can be done. That's how a couple of my go to guns are set up.

fecmech
04-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I would just try to use a different step on your elevator than the standard load and file it for the zero with the light load. Not a big deal to switch steps on the elevator or simply make a 2 step elevator with a file.

excess650
04-02-2011, 07:06 PM
The Winchester carbine sight would be my recommendation for a barrel sight using the existing dovetail. You could use the Remington rolling block sight as reproduced by MVA for an alternative open/flip up style sight.

Likewise, you could opt for one of the MVA tang sights so as to have the easy to adjust and repeat vernier for elevation.

My Marlin 1894CL has a Redfield receiver sight with click adjustments. Its more compact and less fragile than a tang sight. Too, the 32-20 isn't a long range cartridge, so just how much elevation adjustment does one really need?

My ultralight load is 2.0gr Solo 1000 with the Lyman 311008 in RP cases with F205 primers. My notes indicates it shoots 3/4''-1" at 58 yards with the receiver sight.

For higher velocity I have 5.5gr SR4756, 7.5gr AA#9, and 15.5gr AA2200 all shooting sub 7/8".

I've not shot any GC boolits from my Marlin, but the Lyman 311316 would seem to be an excellent choice.

The Lee 311-100-2R would be a suitable alternative to the 311008 albeit round nose vs flat. The C309-113F would also seem to be the alternative to the 311316.

I TRIED 98gr Penn SWC sized .3135" (commecial cast) but they didn't shoot worth a hoot in my Marlin.

Canuck Bob
04-02-2011, 09:13 PM
The idea to work out a load solution if possible is good sense. Even better it requires extra shooting. The rifle is a long barrel 24" heavy octagon, it might not be too bad for differing points of aim.

I'd be happy with 2 sight capability, one sighted for 50 yards lo-vel and one for 100 yard hi-vel. It is no sniper rifle.

The sights mentioned, are they classic hardware or available as repros? I'm familiar with MVA, Buffalo Arms, NECG express sights and Marble's beautiful Winchester repro offerings.

northmn
04-03-2011, 01:52 PM
In my Rossi 357 I use a different elevator setting for the 38 specisal and the 357's on the rear sight. Factory sight. I have a fold down rear sight for my Marlin 32-20 that would permit a tang sight which is very tempting. While I plan on using one load in the 32-20 as I like the 5D receiver sight some do find two loads that match in impact up close. A very good rear sight is the factory Marlin I got with my 30-30 CB whcih has a better elevator and a fine adjustment on the rear sight.

DP

hickstick_10
04-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I use the folding sight and lyman no 2 tang sight combination on a marlin 1894 CB in 357.

Folding sight is for 38s and the tang is for 357, works pretty good for me. Sighted in identical to your wants of 50 yards for light loads and 100 yards for magnums.

Unless your traveling in the deepest jungle in Africa with porters and oxen or walking across the Yukon, both unlikely with a 32-20. simply stop using the take down feature and then you dont have to think about point of impact change with time.

FromTheWoods
04-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I have several '94 takedowns with Marble tang sights on them. They DO NOT change their point of aim with disassembly/assembly. I take them apart often to transport them. Never a difference in excellent accuracy.