PDA

View Full Version : Load data?

Blind Eye
04-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I am having a blast shooting bullets from BT`s Dies. What I was wonder is other peoples load data on these. What overall length and weights you guys are using.

I have treid 2400 and W296 so far for the 44 mag. When I loaded 2400 @18.5 grns and an overall length of 1.6 I got some sighns of over pressure. I am still playing around and have since lengthened the overall length. Anyway, I read alot on here but no one is talking about there load data. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Doug.

Red River Rick
04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
You may want to ask this question in the reloading section...............that's why we have different catagories.

RRR

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Doug,
do a search for load data in this section (Swagin).
I think there is at least one thread dedicated
to what you are asking.
I will search, and will post if I find it.

But, my opinion is that there is alot of available data on the
44 caliber 250ish gr. bullets in loading manuals since there are alot
of manufacturer's that make a similar bullet.

I like Blue dot for heavy 44 Mag bullets for a medium load.
if I want I HOT load, I go with H110 or 296...follow all the precautions with those powders.

Now if you use the 40 caliber one step die
and you are getting bullets around 190 to 195 gr.
that info is hard to find...Here is a copy of a post
of mine from last summer.

my pet Load for the 193 gr. Swage in 40 S&W is 6.1 gr. of AA #5

Approach any other loads for 40 S&W with caution !
since 1/3 of the bullet weight is brass which is much
lighter then Lead, it makes these bullets longer.
So when seating them to the Max. SAAMI OAL=1.135"
the case capacity is limited, Most starting charges for
other powders will be a compressed charge or dang close to it.
which could cause pressure issues.
Jon

PS. If someone is test shooting these in a Glock, and loading them from used brass of unknown history, whereas the possibly of it having been previously shot from a Glock, Be advised, that the potential "Glock Bulge" should be removed before sizing. Of course this is a given, but I believe it is even more important with these longer projectiles and possible high pressure issues.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I guess there is only a thread for the 40 cal.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83538&highlight=load+data

But there is plenty of info for the 250ish gr. 44 cal
as I already stated.
Jon

ReloaderFred
04-02-2011, 01:52 PM
I've been using data for the next heavier weight bullet to account for the decreased volume using cases for jackets. For instance, I make a 230 grain .44 bullet from .40 S&W cases. I use data for 240 grain bullets and it's worked out well.

You have to remember that just because the bullet you make from a cartridge case may be the same weight as a factory bullet, the volume inside the case will be reduced by quite a bit due to the rim area of the case used for the jacket.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Blind Eye
04-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys. Thats why I posted here. These bullets are very long which changes the pressures greatly. The 18.5 gr 2400 is nowhere near max but was to much for the depth of the bullet. I would have posted elsewhere but thats for cast boolits which is a totaly different animal. I will keep playin around untill I find its sweet spot.

Thanks

Doug.

Utah Shooter
04-03-2011, 01:19 AM
You may want to ask this question in the reloading section...............that's why we have different catagories.

RRR

Could you please tell me where this section is? I have found a section for Casting and Reloading Hand Tools as well as Reloading Equipment. I am not seeing a Reloading section that discusses recipe's and such.

I am curious of how accurate can swaging be with the diameters of the mouth on a .224 hollow point being different and what are re loaders doing for this?

MIBULLETS
04-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Technically the size of the hollow point has nothing to do with the accuracy of a bullet. The balistic coefficient will however be reduced as the size goes up.

runfiverun
04-03-2011, 11:35 PM
you also have a thicker jacket which will raise pressures as it is harder for it to change shape to the cylinder throats and engages the rifling with much less give.
you are gonna have to use less powder.
i was testing some 280 gr cast swaged g/c boolits with the same powder charge as some 40-cased swaged 236 gr boolits and some 300 gr 40 cased swaged and couldn't get the 300 gr boolits to stabilize well even in my leverguns [at 1.610] before seeing beginning pressure signs.
the cast were fine in every respect and the 236's did okay but were near max pressure wise but very accurate.
with unique.
i'd say about 2.5-3 grs under max with same weight bullets ,is close with the jacketed swaged, for the medium to slow powders. and i'd avoid titegroup powder speeds.
i'd imagine this carries across the board.
i'm gonna try some slow for caliber powders [aa-1680 and aa-2230] at some point if things allow this summer.
and try some of the heavy weight jacketeds in the 445 super mag.

BT Sniper
04-04-2011, 04:19 AM
I'll have to look at my data a bit on the 44s. All I ever used in my 44AMP was W-296 and found I achieved same FPS from the 250ish grain brass jacket bullets with one grain less powder vs. the 240 grain XTP as I recall.

Like I said thow I'll have to check my books. Havn't shot the 44 in a while.

BT