PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate too loose

robroy
04-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I have a NOE 41 cal 230 LFN that I just started casting with tonight. I finally got good fill out when the mold got hot enough to lightly frost the boolits, but along the way I had to tighten the sprue plate screw a couple times. It keeps coming loose. I stopped after the second time since I didn't want to strip any threads.

What do you think? Maybe needs a set screw to keep the screw from backing out? Or just a new wave washer to keep tension on the screw? The other worry is did I get the mold too hot and cause this problem?

Calamity Jake
04-02-2011, 04:36 PM
There should be a set screw on the side or end of the mold to tighten down on the spru plate screw so it won't back out.

robroy
04-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Kind of embarasing that I didn't see the set screw. Not half as bad as tightening the sprue plate screw too much and galling the contact area between plate and mold body for about .125" around the screw.:groner: I did get some Bull Plate between em I thought. I shut it down for the night. I'll try to get some pictures and post them.

MikeS
04-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Kind of embarasing that I didn't see the set screw...

I did the same thing tonight with a new to me Saeco #12 mould! Kept tightening the sprue plate screw, then found the setscrew in with the boolits I cast, then finally found the screw hole after the mould had cooled down from the evenings casting. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one to miss the setscrew!

oso
04-05-2011, 12:30 PM
MikeS, glad you found that set-screw and where it goes. I usually need help finding the small parts!

cajun shooter
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Locktite products has a product that is made for medium work and not the super hard red stuff. They have a blue for gun work and a green for even lighter work. The one thing that is very important is that the mould be cold when doing this. We all know that metal expands when heated and you could end up breaking a screw by over doing it. You may also re tighten it all and then with some of your wife's nail polish mark a spot on top of the sprue screw where it lines up with the set screw. Remove it and make a flat surface area with a file in the position of the polish. This will give the set screw a flat to set on and not a rounded one that does not hold and tends to become loose with use. Later