PDA

View Full Version : USPS envelope

mooman76
04-01-2011, 10:46 PM
For those that didn't already know it, the USPO now has a large padded flat rate envelope. Ships for the same price as the cardboard envelope but is like one of those bubble mailers. The P.O. doesn't carry them, you have to order them.

downwind
04-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Be careful molds in boxes bust through those envelopes!

I know because someone used one to send me two molds,

Only one made it to me the other is among the missing! :oops:

Envelope was totally torn apart then taped up.

Although insured, to file a claim they would confiscate remaining mold with the packaging.

This also doesn't garrantee they will pay the claim

Wouldn't want to see this happen to anyone else.

Shipper beware :cry:

waksupi
04-02-2011, 12:27 AM
I've seen some of the darndest packing with envelopes. One day we had a manilla envelope show up from Craig Boddington. Inside, and partially outside of the shredded envelope, was a left hand P.O.Ackley Mauser action, on of the very few ever made. How it ever reached us without being lost or stolen, is a mystery to this day.

bhn22
04-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I bought a mould from one of the members here and he shipped it in a flat rate envelope. The envelope arrived torn, and empty. I contacted him and he refunded my money, which really impressed me. Ken, if you're still out there, I still remember you.

mooman76
04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Those flat rate cardboard envelops are almost worthless as far as I am concerned. They are made of some really flimsy cardboard. The Padded envelop is plastic an it is hard to tear. Not impossible though of coarse and I would never ship something like a mould in it but we do ship allot of other things here too. I work in a mail room and am constantly amazed at what and how people pack things to ship and expect it to get there undamaged. Of coarse it's the P.O.s fault when things don't make it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I like to use the flat rate cardboard envelope for brass once in a while...BUT
I put the contents into a tyvek type envelope first,
roll it tight, tape it..then I tape it into the inside of the flat rate envelope,
then I encapsulate the flat rate envelope with clear tape.
No problems yet.

I would never sent a mold in a cardboard FR envelope.
Jon