PDA

View Full Version : anyone?

Dustinxxx
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Anyone sell their cast boolits they make.. Ive been thinking about it. I need some extra money for my kids hospital bills.. but thought i would get some incite from casters that have done it. thanks

TGM
04-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Yoy may need a FFL license to selll bullets.

TGM

04-01-2011, 11:01 PM
You WILL need a license.

This has been discussed many times, and a search will bring up the threads that explain all the flaming hoops you will have to jump through.

iron mule
04-02-2011, 07:53 AM
you do not need a FFL to sel bullets but you do need a FFL to sell the bullets that you make
there is a difference between the two
the first is that you are selling components that were made by some one else
the second is that you are involved in the manufacturing process yourself then selling what you have manufactured
mule

Jim
04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm having some difficulty with this.

A few years ago, I went through the same questions. I was told by ATF that making and selling cast bullets, JUST THE BULLETS, is not restricted or controlled by ATF. Primers(because they contain an explosive) and loaded ammunition, yes.

I just got done speaking with a commercial cast bullet manufacturer and he tells me the same thing. He said he went through a lengthy process of communicating with ATF on this and finally managed to get them to send him documentation on said subject.

I'm not challenging those that say otherwise. I would, though, like to see a link to a page on the ATF site that specifies any restriction on making and selling cast bullets. I have searched the ATF site extensively and can find nothing on this.

The question, as I understand it, specifically concerns what ATF has to say about it. A business license and/or tax number may/may not apply, depending on local ordinances/laws.

LAH
04-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Jim, when I read the sight, it appears one is needed a FFL Class 6 but when the ATF knocked on my door I was told by the agent I didn't need one to simply cast & sell bullets. I was approved & received my license anyway. Go figure.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I wasn't going to respond to the original question.
BUT...JIM...
you have, what I believe is wrong information from the ATF.

Below is a post I put together after a Law enforcement
officer sent me a PM (on this site) asking to buy swaged bullets from Me
and I desided not to.

The thread went on for 3 pages,
it was mentioned by "deltaenterprizes"
that the "1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act"
allows the sale of Ammo and components if it's not providing
your livelihood (read garage sale).
I asked him for a link to prove his statement...and Never got it.
I then searched for proof myself, on the ATF website
and I couldn't find any.

here is the link to the full thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81613

below is my response to anyone asking if they can legally
sell ammo or components as a side business (read livelihood)
Particularly if they want to ship them across state lines...interstate commerce.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After searching atf.gov
I've desided it is unwise for me to ship any swaged bullets to you.
it's that whole interstate commerce thing.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html#ammo-reloading
ATF HomeFirearmsFrequently Asked Questions: Manufacturers

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-gca-ammunition.html
The term “Ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf
THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968, TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44
see page 8 of 243

§ 922 Unlawful acts.
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(1) for any person—(A) except a licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, or licensed
dealer, to engage in the business of
importing, manufacturing, or dealing
in firearms, or in the course of such
business to ship, transport, or receive
any firearm in interstate or foreign
commerce; or
(B) except a licensed importer or
licensed manufacturer, to engage in
the business of importing or manufacturing
ammunition, or in the
course of such business, to ship,
transport, or receive any ammunition
in interstate or foreign commerce;

Jim
04-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Jon, thank you so much! Good job! The image below came from one of the pages you linked and explains it very clearly.

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/gca-ammunition.jpg

Armorer
04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
So that being said, it would be unlawful for us to sell brass to each other as well, unless said seller is "a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer," . That would seem rather silly. It is the federal government however and we all know what stupidity lurks in those halls. I can understand live rounds and perhaps even powder and primers as they are inherently dangerous in and of themselves. Hence the HAZMAT fees. But seemingly innocuous items such as brass and cast boolits doesn't stand to reason. It's like selling a bayonet or magazines.

Scratching my head,
Armorer

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2011, 07:58 PM
So that being said, it would be unlawful for us to sell brass to each other as well, unless said seller is "a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer," .... Armorer
as per the Gun Control Act of 1968, If this is your business you need a FFL type 06

But, I believe the "1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act"
allows for trades and transactions...like garage sales, ect
as long as it is not your means of livelihood.
But I can't find the link or the words on a ATF page to prove that.
Jon

HangFireW8
04-02-2011, 08:03 PM
So that being said, it would be unlawful for us to sell brass to each other as well, unless said seller is "a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer," .

First sale of cartridge brass must pay the Pittman-Robertson tax. After that it can be sold ad nauseum without further tax. Manufacture and sale of new cartridges same thing, since it includes the brass.

Jim
04-02-2011, 10:45 PM
First sale of cartridge brass must pay the Pittman-Robertson tax. After that it can be sold ad nauseum without further tax. Manufacture and sale of new cartridges same thing, since it includes the brass.

Interesting. thanks, Hang.