PDA

View Full Version : Just scored two buckets of stickies

bumpo628
04-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I just about gave up trying to find any local wheel weights, but I figured I'd give it one more try. I stopped by a tire shop that specializes in used tires. Apparently they re-use the clip-ons, but they were happy to sell me the stickies. They had a couple of over-filled buckets that I got for $50 each. Finally! They even let me take the weights in the buckets. I gave my number to a couple of the guys who work there and they're going to give me a call when they get more.

[smilie=w:

Just weighed em and there's a total of 315 lbs.
So that makes it $0.32 per lb.

Stick_man
04-02-2011, 01:32 AM
sometimes those used-tires places are the best sources. I frequent a couple in my area and get about 100 lbs each month between the two. Not a lot, but better than nothing. One shop I visit was sorting out the weights to re-use when I found them. I offered them $15 a bucket (with me picking them up out of the wheelbarrow and loading them into my bucket) and they jumped on it. I guess they figured for the cost of labor to sort them out and clean them up, it just wasn't worth it. Now they have a bucket that I just dump into my buckets and they even load them into my vehicle for me. I give them $20 each bucket full most of the time. Sometimes, if they don't have very many, they just give them to me.

bumpo628
04-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Once I get a bit more lead, I'll try to get a little better deal. Right now, I'm just happy I've got a source. It sure beats paying $1/lb and getting all my lead in medium flat rate boxes.

How much lead have you got in the ol' stockpile?

SWANEEDB
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, my ol'stockpile needs to get into ingots, i've got at least 10 5 gal buckets of WW's, good size pile of roofing and plumbers lead, couple days ago I did some trading with a gent, he's got more buckets of OLD WW's, no zinc or other trash, it's mine for .30 cents a lb in more trading, he wants my old ammo and am happy to see it go. Right now i'm sure i've got over a ton already in ingots, looking at a possible score on lino also, still in 25 lb pigs, he thought he had about 400 lbs. NOW, what am I going to do with all this stuff, am getting a little tiered, oh well will keep me busy for awhile.

bumpo628
04-02-2011, 10:29 PM
That's a good problem to have. You gotta get it all right now before it goes away.
This year is probably going to be the last year with a decent yield.

Defcon-One
04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Great haul. Not much stick-on lead here where I am.

I have a couple hundred pounds of smelted and cleaned clip-ons. 55 pounds of the Lyman #2 and some linotype and solder for mixing alloys, but very little pure or stick-on lead.

Lately, I can only find a few pound of WW here and there. The supply has really tightened up. I suspect somebody else is beating me to my sources, but nobody will admit it. Some guy must be paying more than I do for it.

Congratulations on the stick-on lead!

4719dave
04-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Good score I got ww fri from a new shop owner wanted my name and number incase epa ck him wow hour later my phone rings owner says they ck his lead inventory .

Russ in WY
04-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Scored 103 lbs of mixed W/W the other day for a Dozen Donuts ,, Not Bad Huh???

bumpo628
04-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I finished sorting them out. Out of the 315 lbs between the two buckets, there was:
48 lbs steel ( 15% )
6 lbs zinc ( 2% )
16 lbs clip-on wheel weights ( 5% )
245 lbs stick-on wheel weights ( 78% )