PDA

View Full Version : Help w/a Win Legacy .44

Bigscot
12-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I bought a Win Legacy .44 last January and have not had any problems until now.
It appears that the arm from the hammer spring keeps sliding off the hammer during cocking with the lever of pulling the hammer back. This causes the hammer to not be cocked and the action cannot be opened fully.
This arm appears to be cocked slightly to the left which is the direction the arm slides off the hammer.
I have tightened up the screws and it worked for a while (10-15 shots) now it is doing the same thing.

I am hoping someone may be familiar with this problem and provide a simple fix before I send it off for warranty work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bigscot

Buckshot
12-06-2006, 04:04 AM
..............I wish I did. I've never seen one to know how it's setup. I take it the spring powers an arm that fits into a slot or socket on the rear of the hammer?

...............Buckshot

Bigscot
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Buckshot,

The arm is connected to the spring and contacts the hammer in a lateral groove, no slot or socket. The arm is sliding off the hammer to the left side and binding up the hammer and the action. The arm piece looks to cocked to the left like a pin or screw may be loose or out but cannot see it.

Bigscot

Old Ironsights
12-07-2006, 12:50 PM
There are some guys here who are also on the Leverguns Forum, but not most of the crazy project-guns guys. (The ones who build Win94s out of spare parts.)

I'd spin over there with your question too.

http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/active.asp

Newtire
12-08-2006, 09:32 AM
It appears that the arm from the hammer spring keeps sliding off the hammer during cocking with the lever of pulling the hammer back. This causes the hammer to not be cocked and the action cannot be opened fully.
This arm appears to be cocked slightly to the left which is the direction the arm slides off the hammer.
I have tightened up the screws and it worked for a while (10-15 shots) now it is doing the same thing.

I am hoping someone may be familiar with this problem and provide a simple fix before I send it off for warranty work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bigscot

Hi Big,
I just ran into a very similar sounding problem with my Black Shadow '94. It's the angle eject style and am not too sure about the differences in all the newer designs. In fact, was just going to ask if anyone knows where I could buy a part for mine. This link takes you to a place where they have a picture of exactly what I need but no names are given for any of the parts.

http://www.schiessen-erzgebirge.de/sites/navi_links_rifle.htm

What I found with mine was that the "thing that fits into the hammer slot" is the sear. The part that the coil spring wraps around with the curved legs doesn't hold it in the cocked position, the part that broke on mine is the part that fits into the notch on the hammer. I need to know where to get one. I broke mine while trying to fit a stock I had bought on E-bay and closing the action (or trying to) down wrong somehow. I guess this is why I am not a professional gunsmith! anyway, this site has a picture of the thing you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Griff
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
I might be able to help. If you would kindly tell me what part it is that's giving you the problem.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/sass93/a2_2.jpg

If you go to Winchester's (http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/parts/terms.asp) website you can download a parts manual from 2005 which will give you the proper name for the part you want to describe or at the very least a number to refer to it as. Unfortunately, when you copy parts of the picture (as I did here for another problem solve) the number references don't come thru, and I was too lazy to copy and edit them in with photoshop.

What you are describing sounds like, either the trigger stop spring, (#79) is worn to the point it allows too much play, or the hammer guide rod, (#36) itself has somehow become bent. Although nothing you're describing is actually attached to the lever. The lower tang, with it's mainspring, hammer, trigger, sear and such are fully self contained. The only thing that cocks the hammer is the bolt moving rearward as the lever pivots on the link while being pushed downward and forward by the operator.

Once you decide which is causing the malfunction, you can order spares thru Browning, and instructions on how to do so are included at Winchester's website. Or, you can search EBay and your local gun shops and buy the mainspring, guide rod, hammer, sear and spring from any 1979 to 198(?) Winchester 94 for the non-rebounding hammer. Sorry I can't tell you what year is at the upper end, as I don't own any newer than 1979. (30 in all). I have a gap in my collection between 1976 (2) and 1979 (2) so I can't also either tell you exactly when they went to the coil mainspring. But, both my 1979s do, and neither 1976 does, so... 1979 it is. But, this will accomplish two things, it will fix your immediate problem, and it will give you a crisper trigger pull, and provide a more reliable ignition; as the hammer is no longer being forced back off the firing pin at the end of its travel. Additionally, you rifle will now have a "half-cock" safety as the originals did.

If that doesn't help, feel free to email me, or contact me over at Leverguns.com where I spend way too much time.

Edit: Just had another thought. It may well just be a worn hammer bushing (#33).

Bigscot
12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Giff,

Thanks for the info. The part is actually #36. And from the looks of things, the right side has broken off allowing the piece to slide off the hammer to the left. I never looked to see that. Oh well, I have already put it in the shop for a warranty repair. I just hope the turn around is reasonable.

Thanks again,

BS

Griff
12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Glad you are getting the problem taken care of. And, since it's an internal part, they likely will stand behind it. And, it'll be cheaper under the Warranty than doing it yourself. Although, as I always say, if I fix it myself, the Warranty Period is for the length of my life!

Newtire
12-08-2006, 09:14 PM
I might be able to help. If you would kindly tell me what part it is that's giving you the problem.

[[/B]

Thanks for all the info Griff. My part that's broken is definitely the sear and will go to the Win site & go thru the gyrations. Thanks alot!