PDA

View Full Version : Range day with my 40s

Gunsmoke4570
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Cast up some boolits from my Accurate molds 165A 40 mold. This mold throws a 165gr. GC boolit. I recently picked up some 40cal Gator checks from Blammer with outstanding service as usual.

Well, I went to the range yesterday to try out a load with HS6 powder. I've never used this powder before and I got a pound of it from a friend who didn't need it anymore. The HS6 is a flattened spherical powder and it metered pretty good from my RCBS Uniflow. I loaded up a startling load of 7.2gr. It was overcast and cold, so I had a quick test session. Out of my Glock 23 (factory barrel) and my Sig Pro I was getting 1 3/4 - 2 " groups at 25yds. The load was sufficient to cycle both pistols, starting loads sometimes will not lock the slide back on last shot. With open sights I normally only count the best 4 out of 5 since I will usually throw one high due to sight fuzzing but even including the worst shot was still under 3". Didn't have the chrony set up, but will load some more and test in all of my .40s in the next week or so. This is looking like a solid load. It is accurate and has mild recoil.

:Fire:

DISCLAIMER: Load information was developed for the specific firearms mentioned above and have proven safe in them. Always use caution when developing your loads. YMMV.

Three44s
04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
HS-6 gets overlooked and that's a shame!

I like in the .44 magnum for upper medium loads and also the recoil compared to the output is very desirable!

Three 44s

Gunsmoke4570
04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I plan on trying it in alot more calibers now. Next test is in 9mm. I'm really starting to like it!

Armorer
04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Most of my .40 S&W and 9MM loads are with HS-6. It metering well is a strong seller for me. I load everything on my Rockchucker and being able to throw quick and consistant charges with the Uniflow really speeds up the process.

my ¢2
Armorer