PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free Creole Calas

scrapcan
03-31-2011, 11:48 PM
A Calas (Cal-lees) is a self rising rice cake like a pancake or a fritter. As near as I can tell there are two traditional ways to cook these. one is to drop the mixture into hot oil/lard and make a fritter. The other way is to cook them on a cast iron griddle or cast iron pan like a pancake. We use the griddle frying pan method.

this recipe comes from a small cook book by Aileen M. Bennett, Cajun and Southern Gluten Free Delights. It is very similar to other recipes that are available else where. My wife is a celiac, as such it has to be gluten free for her to eat. I think you could substitute an all purpose non-self rising flour for the gluten free flours in the mix.

Maybe one of you guys with more actual history can help me out on this one. I had to look in old cajun and creole cook books to find recipes and history.

If you try a non gluten free recipe let me know how it works out for you.

here is the recipe, and a recipe for non sticky rice.

Calas (Cal-lees)

A sweet treat for breakfast, dessert, or a snack. A good way to use left over rice

2 cups cooked rice ( great recipe for making non sticky rice below)
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/ tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/3 cup raisins
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk

Put all ingredients into medium bowl and mix well. works best with leftover rice that is cool/cold

Heat skillet or griddle to medium heat, add some oil or cooking spray to your cooking surface.

put about 2 TBSP mixture (you can use more and make them a little bigger if you like) onto pan an cook until brown, turning frequently. I cook them like you would pancakes. Takes 3-5 minutes to cook each.

You can use syrup, jelly or just eat them like they are.

Creole rice

pot large enough to boil 2 quarts of water. Bring water to boil, you may have to cover pot. when boiling add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of uncooked white rice ( it will work with brown rice, but will take longer to cook). bring back to boil and turn down to a simmer. simmer for 18 minutes or until rice reaches your desired dente. Stir often to keep rice form sticking to bottom of pot. When done, drain and serve. Makes 4 servings. Half of a batch of cooked rice will make the above Calas recipe.