PDA

View Full Version : Installing set screws

Pepe Ray
12-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Can't find the thread where I read this but AIR we should
1. install a set screw to lock the spru plate hinge screw. AND
2. install a screw as a buffer for the spru plate cam.
RIGHT?
Question. What size screwes are best? 6? 8? 10? 12?
TIA, Pepe Ray

flinchnjerk
12-05-2006, 01:56 AM
I used 8's. Seemed to be the best compromise ... gave a little more meat around the wrench pocket than did a 6 (that way I could lean on the Allen wrench until I stripped the thread, then back the screw off half a turn) but didn't get too close to the block edge with the hole, as I would have done had I used a 10. I'd suggest that you drop a very short length of copper unistrand wire into the set screw hole before installing the set screw ; it'll act as a buffer to keep the nose of the set screw from bunging up the threads on the sprue plate bolt. It doesn't take much damage to the sprue plate bolt's thread to make a real mess of its hole in the mold block when you try to adjust or remove the bolt.

44man
12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
I use a 6-32 setscrew. I also determine where it will contact the sprue plate screw and file a flat on it for the setscrew to prevent thread damage.

kywoodwrkr
12-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Many old sets of reloading dies, which had a set screw in them, used a piece of lead shot in the bottom to protect the threads.
I even have some old ones laying about somewhere with that set up.
I see some later dies have gone to brass or bronze screws.
Model airplane shops will have a large assortment of these cap socket screws I think.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

gzig5
12-05-2006, 06:19 PM
A small piece of copper wire under the set screw will also work well to protect the threads of the screw you are locking in place.

Pepe Ray
12-06-2006, 03:09 AM
Thank you gents. Good stuff here.
Pepe Ray