PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Danish Rolling Block 11mm

wellfedirishman
03-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Anyone know the value of one of these, in excellent condition (looks either rearsenaled, or unissued, with some dings/handling marks on the wood)? Bluing was very good.

My local store has one and wants $400 for it, so about $440 after tax.

I checked Gunbroker but could not find any specific recent valuations, they looked between 400-650 for guns sold.

Edit: Thanks guys for the info, I decided to pass on it. Someone else will get a deal :)

John Traveler
04-02-2011, 04:55 PM
If you are describing the 11mm Danish Rolling Block rifle that chambers a .45 cartridge that is just slightly shorter than the US .45-70, that is a really good price.

Most of these were imported in the 1950s and 1960s and rechambered to accept the US .45-70. Most are good shooters, but some have oversized bores and require loading oversized .45 bullets for good acccuracy.

I examined one at a southern California gun show last month in antique good condition, with v.g. bore and had a price tag of $650. Most all of the ones I've seen in the last five years were between $500 and $700. The lowest was a cut-down 18" barrelled carbine at $325 in New Mexico.

Boz330
04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I would say that is a really decent price in the described condition.

Bob

Paul Tummers
08-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Got this one a few weeks agoo, very good barrel, stock has to be refurbished but am still thinking how to do this; do not want to sand it down due to the already fading stamps in it.
I do not know or this is just a matter of wearing out or done at purpose but the recess for the hammer in the breech-block also encloses the top of the hammer at the moment it hits the firing pin, thus causing the breech block to lock on top of the hammer as well and it is steady as a rock that way.
Took it to the range last week and a fellow shooter attended me that I seem to have a quite rare carbine that in really bad shape normally would not sell under 1000 euro's because Tojhus only made a 3000 of those over the years.
I am still struggling to get everything together to make it shoot, mold for a 400 grain bullet, dies etc.
I want to use this little thing as an emergency rifle when searching for a wounded hog in the thick brush with the dogs, have once seen what a wounded big hog can do to a man and his dog; dog killed and the man lost his manhood despite intensive surgery.

Nobade
08-19-2013, 09:13 AM
You might want to pay attention to Simpson Ltd. in Illinois. They often have the Danish and Swedish rolling block rifles for sale, in many variations.

-Nobade

KCSO
08-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Go to Simpson's or Allan's Armoury and see what they are selling for today.

Paul Tummers
08-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Bad luck; only Swedish Rolling Blocks for sale, not to compare with the Danish.

wellfedirishman
08-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Paul, I got lucky recently and picked up a couple of nice Danish rolling blocks off Gunbroker for $400 and under each. One is cut for the 45-70 chamber, one is original.

Since you are in NL, can you import an antique like these from the US?

Paul Tummers
08-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Yes, I could import them from the USA, but the long rifles are also not expensive when I import them from Germany, it are the carbines that are very rare.