PDA

View Full Version : One crappy day at the range.

x101airborne
03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Two miserable failures occurred today. Took my NEW M1-A out to start breaking it in and also took my 7.62 M-4 to try some handloads. 150 gr speer sp's and H4895

First, the M1-A. I noticed that the trigger pull kept getting easier and easier. Pretty soon it was hard to tell where the second stage was and brother, you better be ready. I have shot 3 full custom sniper rifes with two stage triggers and this one was the tops!! Then the boom was lowered. A double tap. Surely it was me and not the weapon!! A couple singles, then again a double. Hmmm. Wonder what I'm doing wrong. loaded another mag of 10 and 5 went off. ****. Had a hard time after that only firing ONE shot. My dad tried it and was able to empty the mag of 10 on one pull. The only way to fire one shot was to JERK the trigger. I am thinking this is a sear engagement problem? I did not alter the trigger in any way, heck, I dont even know how to take it apart!! I got a book coming for that.

Second was the 7.62 M-4. I only had the five test rounds with me and this weapon was previously sighted in with commercial ammo. I figured, What could go wrong? Yep, there was Murphy, ready to bite me in the ****. All five rounds hit completely sideways at 100 yards. Heck, they even managed a 7" group!! I mean all 5. Every one. I am a decient shot, but I have not figured out how to make a boolit turn sideways on command. I quietly cased both weapons and sat in the truck. What a day! :holysheep: :takinWiz:
THAT

Gtek
03-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Usually sear overlap on hammer hook. Remove trigger group, cock hammer. Pull through first stage, at end of first stage you should have min. of .020" left of overlap. If the weapon is new I would be on the phone ASAP. I bet they will pay for round trip and fix, if not ask for it! Gtek

Triggerhappy
03-31-2011, 06:11 PM
I know it sounds stupid, but people have been prosecuted for weapons that would fire more than one round with a trigger pull, even though they were damaged or broken causing the malfunction. Get it fixed right away. All it takes is one person to complain about the automatic weapons fire at the range and the next thing you know you have the Feds down on you.

Just a word to the wise.

Th

x101airborne
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Contacted Springfield and they took the rifle in without question and paid shipping both ways. I tried to get them to unitize the gas cylinder for free while they had it, no dice. Oh well.

Contacted the maker of the 7.62 barrel and informed him of the situation. Here is his e-mail reply:
"i guess the issue is the Barrel. We had some issues with some Barrel and stopped selling them.
We changed all 7.62 AR Barrels from M4 to H Bar Barrels. The issue was on some of these Barrels the M4 cut out.
The wall thickness was to thin and the bullet was starting to tumbling.
I could send you a refund or i could send you a new 7.62 H Bar Barrel."
I am starting to think the firearms industry may be the last of the decent customer service companies.