PDA

View Full Version : One More 45-70 Brass Question

ron brooks
12-04-2006, 09:13 PM
I have one more question on what I believe is a GI 45-70 brass case. It is sliverish looking, I suspect it is tinned. The headstamp reads:

6 F 89 from counterclockwise around the case head starting from 6 o'clock.
One more thing, it is boxer primed. So, is this a Franford arsnel from June of 1889?

Thanks,

Ron

45nut
12-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Well,,the 45-70 came out in 1873 so it isn't out of the question. Any chance you can get a picture posted?

ron brooks
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I'll see what I can do, also this is a fired case. I have a digital camera at work, but it is like 1.3 pixel. They need to get a better camera so I can take better pictures of this type of thing. :)

floodgate
12-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Ron:

Yep, a tinned case from Frankford Arsenal, June 1889. I used to see a lot of that tinned stuff in Bannerman's back in the '50's; all you could carry for $1.00 a box of 20.

Them wuz the days....

floodgate

ron brooks
12-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Floodgate,

Thanks. It's nice to know that the chances of it being from "back then" are even better.

I'm going to try to get some pictures up latter today.

Ron

ron brooks
12-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Well, wouldn't you know. I don't have the software for the digital camera on my laptop since I got the new hard drive and the tech in Las Vegas, NM has my copy. When he gets over here again I'll load it and see what I can come up with.

Ron

9.3X62AL
12-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Years ago, I was putzing around in San Timoteo Canyon right alongside the Southern Pacific right-of-way, about 4 miles east of Buckshot's old place. I was waiting for a tow truck to remove a stolen/stripped car found out that way at sunup, I think. Anyway, I saw a dark brown cartridge head just visible in the sand of the creekbed. I removed it, and it was the lower half of an OLD 45-70 casing, with "1884" headstamp. I still have it laying around here someplace. Just junk, but pretty cool junk anyway.

Scrounger
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, wouldn't you know. I don't have the software for the digital camera on my laptop since I got the new hard drive and the tech in Las Vegas, NM has my copy. When he gets over here again I'll load it and see what I can come up with.
Ron

You can most likely get a free download of the soft ware online (Or they might even send you a CD by mail) simply by calling the service department of the company that markets the camera (Minolta, Argus, whatever). Or even contacting them online. What brand camera is it?