PDA

View Full Version : Beveled base bullets

oldracer
03-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Last year I bought a bunch of 45-70 stuff from a fellow through the for sale section here and got a great deal. I finally got around (after 6 months or so) to opening a box that has no label on it and the bullets weigh out at right on 350gn with blue lube. I was going to try some with light (62 to 64 gn) FFG loads and noted they have a 45 degree bevel around the base? I don't think that is for a gas check but could be I guess?

Anyone have an idea what they are and I don't think with the bevel they'll shoot with just a wad under them?

Kenny Wasserburger
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Thats smokless lube and bullets for such loadings.

Forget the BP.

KW
The Lunger

oldracer
03-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Well then into the pot next time I do some casting..... Thanks

Don McDowell
03-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I have seated gas checks on bevel base bullets using a lee bullet size die.
But considering having to relube and the cost of the gc's etc, your plan to recycle them is probably the best route.

cajun shooter
04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Old racer if your bullets have a large enough lube groove they may still be used. You put them on a cookie sheet or shallow pan in the oven at about 225 degrees and melt out that old lube. The bevel on bullets are put there to make it easier to load them into the case. They are not needed and cause problems with different lube machines. You may also use them by loading a lube cookie in your case so that a ample amount of lube is in the load. If they are the shallow groove Lee bullets then I would make better bullets by melting them down. You also need some good BP lube such as the NASA sold by Bullshop or maybe you make your own as many do.