PDA

View Full Version : lyman 310 fl resize?

luna butte
03-31-2011, 12:24 PM
i have been thinking about getting a tong tool for my 9mm and was hoping to use a full length resizer i have that was intended for the truline junior press. my thought is that the 9mm case is so small that i ought be able manhandle the tool enough to get it done. i also figure that since folks use the tongtool on 45-70 cases and neck size em, that a 9mm ought to be a peice a cake.

think it'll work?

Larry Gibson
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Might FL size a 9mm case if lube is used with a tong toll. Don't know if it has the leverage for it. I use the Lee Hand press and standard dies for FLSing with hand tools.

Larry Gibson

curiousgeorge
03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
It might work, but I think that you are going to be surprised at the force it will take to FL resize a 9mm case. The 9mm is a high pressure round and rimless too. I think that a standard loaded .38 special would be easier than a standard 9mm, BUT that is strictly an opinion based on the tool and the cartridge. I have a couple of the 310 tools and the Truline press. As stated, have not tried what you are asking, but am familiar with the tools. I picked up one of the Lyman Aculine hand presses and use it with regular dies for the tough stuff.

Steve

shotman
03-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Bet YOUR in for big surprize

Green Frog
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
For pistols and revolvers, Lyman made two distinct die sets, those for the TruLine Jr that would FL resize, and those for the 310 tool that had MR ("muzzle resizer" = neck sizer) dies. The tong tool generally lacks the leverage and perhaps the length of effective throw to readily resize even relatively short pistol brass full length, especially if significant sizing is required. Can you get a FL sizer die for 9 mm Para and put it on your tong tool? The answer is yes. Will it work in a satisfactory manner? The jury is still out on that, but the answer is maybe, but probably not. JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie

Catshooter
04-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Just my opinion, but while I think it would full length size, getting the case out of the die with the 310 hook might be exciting.

Cat

HeavyMetal
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
+1 TO Catshooter!

You'll never get the case out with a tong tool. The Lee hand press wih a Carbide die is the way to go here followed by customising a Tru Line Jr to take 7/8's dies.

The Tru Line Jr can make an impressive field reloader with minimal expense, but find a late one with the compound linkage.

With a touch of Imperial wax, ang\d a carbide die, mine will resize full house 44 mag case's with ease!

Pepe Ray
04-02-2011, 05:26 PM
My first hand gun reloads were made on a Lyman "tong tool". Full length sized .357's and .38 Spl were made with no problems other than the need for lubrication and adjusting the die/tong for adaquate extraction.
Never loaded a 9mm of any form in my life, but can not envision why they should be any different.
Why all the negativism?
Pepe Ray

Catshooter
04-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Pepe,

My "negativisum" was from lack of experience, I've loaded with the 310 but all my dies are neck sizers only, never done full length before. That's why I stated it was my opinion, not fact.

And there could be quite a bit of difference between a rimmed round and a rimless, don't you think?

Cat

Green Frog
04-02-2011, 09:24 PM
My first hand gun reloads were made on a Lyman "tong tool". Full length sized .357's and .38 Spl were made with no problems other than the need for lubrication and adjusting the die/tong for adaquate extraction.
Never loaded a 9mm of any form in my life, but can not envision why they should be any different.
Why all the negativism?
Pepe Ray

My personal concerns were twofold. Getting the case into the die, and getting it out. Significant resizing of the brass with a tong tool would involve a pretty strong grip, and trying to hook that "rimless" case with the 310 extractor hook and hold onto it long enough to get it out might also be challenging. I won't say it can't be done, but it's not the way I would choose to do it. JMHO, based on only a few thousand rounds loaded on tong tools, not really all that many. YMMV

Froggie

luna butte
04-04-2011, 01:23 AM
thanks dudes, if i can get away with necksizing only then for sure that will be the route i'll take, but i am not above tapping a case into the FL sizer with a stick and then figureing out how to get it back out. haha.

3006guns
04-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Lyman/Ideal handbook scan show that 9mm luger WAS offered for the 310. So, somebody must have thought it was a good idea......

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/310QuickReference.jpg

Doesn't mention full length or neck size though.

beagle
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a 9mm set for the 310 tool but it's a neck resize proposition only. I've loaded some for the Ruger Blackhawk convertible and it works but they were shot in that same pistol and I wouldn't want to load many of them.

I think I'd want to look for a cheap press and dies to FL resize if I wanted to load many. The first time that claw hook extractor on the 310 slides off and you say, Ah sh_t! you'll wish you did./beagle

QUOTE=3006guns;1225275]Lyman/Ideal handbook scan show that 9mm luger WAS offered for the 310. So, somebody must have thought it was a good idea......

Doesn't mention full length or neck size though.[/QUOTE]

Green Frog
04-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Lyman/Ideal handbook scan show that 9mm luger WAS offered for the 310. So, somebody must have thought it was a good idea......

Doesn't mention full length or neck size though.

I meant to say that with post #5, above. It's not a question of whether Ideal/Lyman die sets for 9 mm Para/Luger (or virtually any other caliber imaginable) were made, it's a question of whether there is FL resizing in the 310 tool for that caliber. Lyman's answer was to make a tong tool set that had a "muzzle resizer" (neck sizer) only and left FL sizing to the bench presses like the TruLine Jr that had more throw and leverage. Do some people mix these dies around? Probably. Should they expect good results? Probably not. The tong tool is very good at what it does, including the neck sizing step it is supposed to be used for. If you want to try FL sizing on a 310 you are on your own. The stubby little 9 mm, or .380, or .32 autos might be "doable" with the tong, but that's not what Lyman designed them to do.

"Been there, done that, got the T-shirt to prove it!"
Froggie

MikeS
04-09-2011, 07:38 PM
If you really need/want to full length resize, and want a portable / cheap setup, then look into getting a Lee Loader. I'm not saying to use the whole thing, but you can use the body as a hammer in / out resizing die. I've done this with 45ACP before I had my press rigidly mounted (I have a tru-line jr press with both FL and neck dies). Using the Lee Loader just for resizing works great, actually I think it even works better than the Ideal hammer in FL sizers, as it has a base so when you're hammering the shell out, you don't have to hold it in your hand.

3006guns
04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
One last comment, then I'll shut up.

I had the idea of machining a new turret for the little Lyman Tru-line to accept regular dies quite a few years ago. My mentor, an older gentleman, discussed it with me and his opinion based on using the press was that it was too lightly built for repeated use. Too much "spring" and no support for the turret on the back side to prevent the center post from being strained. I admit that people are doing it now and probably successfully, but that press is pretty small for serious rifle resizing. Might work dandy on pistol cases though.

Why not the Lee hand press? Inexpensive and accepts 7/8 x 14 dies.

Boerrancher
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
As far as trying to full length size a 9mm in with the Lyman 310 tool, I have resized a 9mm with the 310 tool and TL Jr dies. Notice I said a 9mm. I had plenty of case lube, and nearly destroyed my die before I got the case out. That small rebated rim is not strong enough to pull the case out of the die. It tears it off, So you turn it a half a turn and try again, achieving the same result. This process is done time and time again until there is no rim left for the hook to catch. That is when the fun really starts.

My advice... Don't do it.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

uscra112
04-11-2011, 12:13 AM
One last comment, then I'll shut up.

I had the idea of machining a new turret for the little Lyman Tru-line to accept regular dies quite a few years ago.

There's a guy who sells conversion turrets on Gunbroker. I even bought one, and I find it works fine for 38 Spl. and 9mm IF you have the later type Tru-Line that has the Y-shaped plates on the lever so it gives you a toggle effect for leverage. It will full-length size small rifle cases like Hornet, or .32-20, but I doubt it would do .30-30. The early one with the straight link is hardly any better than a tong tool.

I don't have his direct contact info, but here's his current listing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=223439048

Yes, I bought a six-holer. Only drawback is you have to use locking nuts with a very small OD. The big knurled ones don't fit. The small size of the Tru-Line is great for my "in-the-field" reloading setup.

ars1
04-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm just setting up for 38 special with a Tru Line Junior just acquired. If I understand all the above correctly, my #95 resizer is NOT for full length resizing. I've tried with lots of lube & even after sanding the ID and quickly figured it won't work. It's ID is right @ .379 just like the loading book orders. So, is there a completely different # resizer that I should be looking to get. It seems like several people have done fine with the Tru Line for smaller, straight walled full length resizing. Then again, can I just skip this step if I match up fire formed cases to the gun that shot it?

Thanks,
Aaron