PDA

View Full Version : using a bhn 8 for CAS bullets

justinhip
03-31-2011, 05:34 AM
I have a large supply (750lbs) of an unknown alloy that is testing at about a BHN 8. I have some other alloy to add to it but not enough. I run 44 magnums in my CAS gun with a 200 gn lrn and a 44 special charge. I was thinking about loading some up as is and see how they work? Does anyone think this will be a problem?

sqlbullet
03-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a match made in heaven as long as they fit. BHN 8 is about perfect for 44 special at 700-800 fps.

runfiverun
03-31-2011, 10:25 AM
you might have to slow down your powder a bit, or size them a bit bigger.
but you are fine.

justinhip
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Nice, thats good news......thanks

geargnasher
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
+1 R5R.

Justin, keep in mind that how your mystery alloy tests might be different from how the boolits cast from it may test, depending on age. If the mystery stuff has been in it's as-tested form for a while it might take a few weeks or even three or four months to reach that hardness again when you transform it into boolits. The "depending" factors are it's antimony content, tin content, and arsenic. No arsenic, it takes a loooooong time to get hard. If the 8bhn was achieved through elements like tin, copper, or other such instead of antimony, then it will be as hard the day it's cast as it will be ten years from now, but if the hardness is due to antimony it takes a bit of aging for the same hardness to show up, that's just the way antimony works. Arsenic works with antimony as a catalyst to drastically speed the age-hardening process.

Gear

fredj338
04-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Yeah, at the 750fps or so that most CAS loads run, you are just about right.

leadman
04-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Even if the new boolits test out a little softer you could still be o.k. I have shot pure lead in the 44 Spl. cases in my SBH.

As a test you can cast some up that are air cooled and some the are water quenched and test the bhn.
You could even load some of each to see which ones shoot better.

justinhip
04-01-2011, 07:16 AM
+1 R5R.

Justin, keep in mind that how your mystery alloy tests might be different from how the boolits cast from it may test, depending on age. If the mystery stuff has been in it's as-tested form for a while it might take a few weeks or even three or four months to reach that hardness again when you transform it into boolits. The "depending" factors are it's antimony content, tin content, and arsenic. No arsenic, it takes a loooooong time to get hard. If the 8bhn was achieved through elements like tin, copper, or other such instead of antimony, then it will be as hard the day it's cast as it will be ten years from now, but if the hardness is due to antimony it takes a bit of aging for the same hardness to show up, that's just the way antimony works. Arsenic works with antimony as a catalyst to drastically speed the age-hardening process.

Gear

I believe the alloy is lead and a small amount of antimony. The lead is from a sailboat keel a friend gave me. According to him (sailboat nut) the boat is well made and the keels were all made with pure lead/antimonty and not known to use ****. So far, this is found to be true. My test sample was from a small batch of bullets that I had cast just playing. Interstingly enough, I came up with an 8 from the as cast bullet, then heat treated 2 in the oven at 450 for 45 min and came up with the same rating 24hrs later. The heat treated bullets seemed much harder just by testing with my finger nail. Since I have two of the same SA reveolvers, I am planning to cast 20 untreated bullets and 20 water dropped and see how they shoot......depending what works best, then I'll give the rifle a shot......

cajun shooter
04-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I use a alloy of 10 BHN with no leading and that is using full cases of 2F Black Powder. If you are shooting in the high 600 or low 700 FPS then your 8 BHN will work fine. Why not add a little tin after your alloy has reached it's melting point. It will give you an extra hardness plus mold fillout for not a big outlay.

justinhip
04-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I use a alloy of 10 BHN with no leading and that is using full cases of 2F Black Powder. If you are shooting in the high 600 or low 700 FPS then your 8 BHN will work fine. Why not add a little tin after your alloy has reached it's melting point. It will give you an extra hardness plus mold fillout for not a big outlay.

Thanks for the advice, what is the best source of tin?

captaint
04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Justin - Try Rotometals, bottom of the page. Pewter from second hand stores, just make sure it's marked. Nothing by Wilton. Solder, most any mix, 95/5 would be the best. Good luck. enjoy Mike