PDA

View Full Version : Am I NuTz? Need Opinions on Monolithic Bullets

Josh Smith
03-31-2011, 05:30 AM
Hello,

The sight modification thing alone is not going to cut it as a business. However, I do want to make this work.

I was looking at bullets for reloading the Mosin-Nagant yesterday. Most .30 caliber bullets are .308", but MNs take .311 diameter bullets.

I'm going to be casting for them, no doubt -- but I'd like something more.

I got to looking at what is manufactured by whom, and I could find no monolithic copper bullets in .311", just .308".

I'm going to talk to a machinist, if I can find one who knows guns, about making a fixture that would allow me to either turn or swage copper (I do not know how much pressure I would need to swage, but it's likely a lot. I'll likely turn them).

Now, done right, these will be precision bullets. I'll have a flat nose on them as well so they'll have a bit of terminal performance for coyotes and such.

Besides being loadable in the MN, the SKS, AK47, .303 Enfield, and several others take this size bullet.

The one I'm basing things on will be optimized for a 1:9.5" twist, but depending upon jig manufacturing costs, I may make some that are a bit shorter and a bit longer as well. this would give the approximate lengths of 147grn, 180grn, and 200grn bullets.

Now, I need to gauge interest. These things would cleanly take coyote.

I need to know if there's interest, though. If I go to the trouble to set this up and sell them beside my sights so I can actually start operating as a business, would there be continued interest in them?

Thank you,

Josh

Wayne Smith
03-31-2011, 07:41 AM
What would be the advantage over the available Serria, etc bullets that almost certainly would be cheaper?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-31-2011, 09:42 AM
Are you set on solid copper ?
seems to be more work than it's worth,
otherwise there'd be numerous companies out there providing such.

why not a swaged bullet made with a brass jacket
and a lead core using a die set,
soon to be made by BT_Sniper.

Another option is to consider casting Zinc Boolits
Jon

seppos
03-31-2011, 10:26 AM
One should also check the prices of copper as there will be lots of it that will be wasted..
Solid copper will also give little bit different pressure readings compared to the jacketed lead filled bullets.

S

MIBULLETS
03-31-2011, 07:49 PM
I would think that a solid copper bullet might not be ideal, but if drilled a hole in the end to make a hollow tip so that it expands, you might have something. Like a barnes. May want to turn the relief grooves in them like they do too.

I think Barnes actually cuts and turns the rod if needed very close to final diameter, just under, then they swage a hollow cavity in them them swage to form the profile.

BT Sniper
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
It would be very easy to bump a .308 bullet up to .313 -.313 or anything in between in one simple swage die. Then you can buy teh cheap and avialble 308 bullet and turn them into all the .311- .313 bullets you would need.

One of these bump dies is on my list of dies to be making in the next week or so.

BTSniper

pogo123
04-01-2011, 04:40 PM
It would be very easy to bump a .308 bullet up to .313 -.313 or anything in between in one simple swage die. Then you can buy teh cheap and avialble 308 bullet and turn them into all the .311- .313 bullets you would need.

One of these bump dies is on my list of dies to be making in the next week or so.

BTSniper

That is what I do with 280 Ross bullets. The price of lead and 7mm jackets was more than 154 (?) grain Remington Core-loct bullets from Midway, when Midway was known for low prices.

I swage those 10-s .288" bullets from my largish stash of .284" bullets. It takes a half hour to set up and swage a couple hundred bullets from a supply I use for a 7mm mag.

ReloaderFred
04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
BT,

I think you're talking about a traditional cup and core bullet, but the OP is talking about a solid copper bullet. It would take much more pressure to swage a solid copper bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

warf73
04-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Not sure about copper solid but I do know they make brass solids. Watch the link below:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=384406
Click on product video its shows about how there solids are made. A guy can reall spit out alot of bullets if he had his own CNC machine.

Storydude
04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Used Screw Machine+Brass/Copper/Ledaloy rod+cams for screw machine=endless bullets cranked out pretty darn fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROWN-SHARPE-SCREW-MACHINE-/140488555429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b5c53ba5
Ebay Link for reference only