PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 odds and ends for reloading?

Canuck Bob
03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Anyone have a prefered primer for this round? I shoot 70% capacity charges minimum and have the dreaded rebound hammer Winoku 92 if that makes any difference to the primer choice. My loads will be Waters' Pets or Paco's light class 2 loads.

I found a Lee die set for 32-20 locally (a small miracle) and the Lee hand trim gizmo will this work on the longer Rem Brass (Starline not available in Canada)? I'm adding the FC die, good idea?

I read that someone used a 32 S&W Long expander in his Lee die for cast 32-20 loading, is this correct? Initially I'll be using commercial cast at .313.

I'm going to order some Lee stuff from Lee Factory Sales, reputable? The dipper set, FC die, Lee powder scale, expander upgrade, and the hand prime tool. Anything I'm missing or should consider a different product?

If I could ask about j bullets, intending no disrespect of course, which are likely to be the most accurate 100gr XTP or Gold Dot?

Sorry for the questions but I need to order in from the US and returning is a drag.

leftiye
03-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Your expander ball often works best when .002" smaller than your boolit (sounds like .311"). Make sure that this grip is not sizing your boolits down if you use a soft alloy. You should try to get boolits that actually fit your chamber and barrel. If you don't cast, then buy larger boolits and size them correctly. Lee push through sizers are the mutt's nutz - er, beez kneaze. Cheep too.

As for the gold dot/vs the XTP, they're both good bullets, but why waste the money? I like the factory crimp dies, but actually don't use them, it not being remotely necessary.

I'd say to stay with a slower powder that ignites well (don't sacrifice uniform ignition for low pressures), and that with a pistol primer - standard primer - said powder being one that reaches your desired velocity too. What gun are you shooting? How hot do you want to go? For pretty hot loads, 4227 would probly do what I mentioned.

Don't trim unless you have to. The important issue being that cases fit your chamber (standard length is of secondary importance). I am not a big fan of Lee. That having been said, all of the Lee stuff that I have works well, maybe even the mule snot (I haven't found out yet, probly won't). As with machine work, the craftsman is more important than the tool.

Use a GOOD lube! (if and when you do lube your boolits)

Bret4207
03-31-2011, 06:55 AM
I have found 32-20 brass grows at different rates and some seems to shrink. I take once fired and trim to a uniform length, The Lee trimmer will work but you may need to shorten it a bit.

I shoot mostly the Lyman 311316 in my 32-20 rifles. I forget the load that worked best, but it came from Ken Waters and gave about 15-1600 fps. Way too hot for squirrels, but right on for coyotes. Under 2" all day long at 70 yards, pretty often at 100 if the wind is down, the occasional group comes in under an inch.

Dean D.
03-31-2011, 07:12 AM
+1 on what Bret said. The Lyman 311316 is my favorite also. The PB 3118 (311008 in new numbering system) is my second choice. I load both with 4.5gr. Unique and CCI Small Rifle primers. In my original Mod. 92 Win. it shoots more accurately than I can with original iron sights.

32-20 brass is very thin so take your time and don't get ham-fisted on your press and you'll be fine. I've always used the seating die to crimp for my loads. Never had a problem.

Gotta love da 32 WCF, fun and economical to boot!

btroj
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
I use small rifle primers in my Marlin.I really like a 120 rnfp form a group buy here over 5 gr of unique. Shoots very well and pretty darn cheap.
Like others have mentioned, this is some fragile brass.
I have had good luck with the XTP. I will say this, my rifle shoots to very different points of impact based up velocity. I can easily get groups 12 inches apart vertically by adding 400 to 500 fps. Don't have any rifle that gives this much difference.
Enjoy your rifle. It will be easy to load for and should give you years of good service.

Jack Stanley
03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Currently I'm trying to make my little Browning talk with a high velocity accent . Using a RCBS 32-98-SWC bullet sized to .314" and lubed with LBT blue . Cases are Starline , primers Winchester small rifle , powder charge is five point two grains of Unique and I use a LEE factory crimp to just remove the belling from the expander die and turn it against the lead .

The accuracy is good enough the I need to get the chronograph out and see if I'm at or near fifteen hundred feet per second . That really all the more speed I'm looking for with this weight bullet .

I tried some Hornady eighty-five grain hollow points with seven point one grain of Blue Dot and that worked pretty well . I think either bullet you mention would give good performance .

Jack

Canuck Bob
03-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks everyone.

I scoured the city and came up with a Lyman die set and purchased it. I also found some 100 gr XTP to start load development.

My kit is almost complete. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the RCBS 10-10 scale. Pricey but the plastic body Lees and Lyman's just didn't leave a confident feeling.

I remain undecided on cast but my budget is shot for a couple months anyway. I think I'm going with a custom mold from LBT when I do cast. 110 grain with a GC. Originally I thought that a velocity for PB was enough but now I want the GC to expand options. The 311008/311316 is only about $25 bucks cheaper here and is an order number as well. If I ever find a nice used version I'll grab it.

The only thing left is bolt down my used Lyman turret press and load some ammo after many years away from the hobby.

Thanks for all the help.

9.3X62AL
03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
If you can find them (they are SCARCE hereabouts) try Remington 6-1/2 small rifle primers in the 32-20 WCF rifle loads. These have shrunk my groups noticeably and reduced flyers running 10.0-11.0 grains of 2400 under Lyman #311316 @ 313". Same story in the 25-20 WCF, and in both calibers the SD and ES were made smaller. My understanding is that the #6-1/2 primer is optimized for the smaller small rifle cases like 22 Hornet, 25-20, 30 Carbine, and 32-20 while the #7-1/2 is a better choice for the 222, 223, and 222 Rem Mag calibers. Free info, and possibly worth it, too--but this change improved things for me and my Marlin 94s.

Canuck Bob
04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks 9.3, it was you that wrote about your luck with 6 1/2 primers. I couldn;t find the post. I did buy the Rem 6 1/2 primers from the memory of your earlier post.