PDA

View Full Version : Yo Bruce! What's up with NCBS '07?

Buckshot
12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
................They're wanting us to start posting our vacation times at work.

...............Buckshot

PatMarlin
12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah- What BS Rick said... :mrgreen:

Buckshot
12-07-2006, 03:45 AM
...........Heeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllloooooo ooooo, BruceB.

..............Buckshot

MT Gianni
12-07-2006, 10:33 AM
A month or so ago Bruce mentioned that the range had been shut down and they were exploring optiond for a new property. I don't know if someone else needs to step up with a substitute or if we find some desert. Gianni.

BruceB
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Well, I was hanging fire on my answer until I could contact a couple folks.

As it turns out, there's still nothing to report about a new range in this area. Color me 'worried'.

Gianni may be correct....find a good piece of desert and have at it. I don't know what the legal ramifications of that course would be. Would we need some kind of permit from BLM, or just go ahead on the basis of "Don't ask, and they can't say no"???

I've identified a very good range site about 16 miles down Jungo Road, west of Winnemucca. It offers several hundred yards of width, and a firing direction almost due north into a mountainside which is likely 1000 yards or more distant. The land-use is in a checkerboard pattern over that area, with alternating public land and geothermal leases. A major geothermal drill rig is set up maybe half a mile west of the possible range site, but both it and Jungo Road are out of sight from the projected shooting area due to land contours.

To have a look at the area, go to

www.nevadageothermal.com

and follow links to maps of the Blue Mountain project by clicking on "properties" in the bar atop the page. The checkerboard land pattern is OBVIOUS, and can be enlarged by clicking on a percentage figure above the initial map display.

At this point, it's up in the air, I'm afraid. Any other Nevadans living near open areas might do well to check around and see what space might be available.

PatMarlin
12-08-2006, 01:42 AM
You can have the shoot at my range. Plenty of area to camp and privacy. 200 yrds is the max.

Buckshot
12-08-2006, 02:51 AM
.............Bruce, you had mentioned that there was someone, or someone's in either the city or county government who was speaking positive about a replacement range.

I'm not saying YOU should do this on your own, or that you should take point but if something isn't done, then nothing will be. It won't benefit anyone this year and maybe not even totally the next. Yet the fact of a range is something that could easily be forgotten or never acted upon. Especially if the officials concerned never hear from those interested. Or if they do in piecemeal infrequent fashion.

Drawing from my experience in working with the city of Redlands, Moreno Valley, and the counties of San Bernardino and Riverside having to do with equestrian trails, I know about inertia in local government. Yet we were eventually successfull in several endeavors.

The first thing is to identify the need. The second is to identify a location. The third is to show those who would be responsible in the local government that there is a group of people interested in it's establishment. The first and second items can be accomplished by one or two people dealing with the proper people in the local government, most likely the county as they would have the majority of unimproved real estate.

Once contacts in the local government have been made, and you have some information, recruiting a group of people as voices can take place. A meeting should take place, and ideally sporting goods retailers could post notices, as could notices be placed at local supermarkets, and in community service space in the newspaper and any local TV station. The Boy Scouts and other youth activity groups are also good choices to notify.

At this initial meeting the information as to the requirements for a public shooting range may be laid out. Informations as to what the county can or will do along with what they cannot or won't do should be discussed. The point of the initial meeting is to get a feel for how other potential users think and what their feeling are. From it too, you should be able to recruit a few individuals to help.

You have to be able to show the local government that there is a real need in the area for a public range and that there are motivated individuals involved.

...................Buckshot

Wayne Smith
12-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Let me add to what Buckshot said and mention that this group should be prepared to address management issues, manpower needs, safety both on and around the range, and sound issues. Anywhere outside the desert southwest this is a possible use for seasonal wetlands that have very limited use otherwise.

BruceB
12-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Gents;

I'm going to open a new thread in the "Competition" forum for discussions on NCBS '07. Let's try to keep all such talk there, so we don't get fragments of discussion and information in several different places, OK?

Gracias.