PDA

View Full Version : Sale of Monotype in "Swappin and Sellin"

alamogunr
03-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I've been following the thread referenced above since it started. I also am a partaker in the bounty that Will has offered. That monotype will be a valuable asset in my alloying efforts, such as they are.

Anyway, having followed the posts and seen how many boxes of this stuff have been ordered, Will stands to reap several thousands of $$. From what I have seen, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. But, having carried my three boxes from the garage to the separate shop, I know he will have earned every penny and more.

On a different note, I was reading up on how to calculate ratio's of various metals to arrive at a desired alloy and ran across some cautions when using monotype and foundry type. It was in an article, "Custom Bullet Alloys" by John Zemanek in the Wolfe Bullet Making Annual-1991. It should also be included on the DVD that includes that "annual". I can't verify that because my DVD drive quit working and I haven't replaced it. There are other statements in the article that have since been proven questionable. I will wait and see for myself if the statements concerning the use of monotype are true.

I'm going to put a link in the thread where this is taking place so that those who have ordered can check this out if they wish.

John
W.TN

saltydog452
03-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I bought some too.

Kinda nostalgic but, if I were a kid, Will's back yard and garage would an exciting adventure. I'd probabally get into some mischief. Might even require a Band-Aid or three.

Supposedly, it was inherited, and Will didn't accumulate the contents.

No matter. It was a brief, but interesting visit.

Thanks to Will and Armorer for pointing me in the correct direction.

Good stuff.

salty

Down South
03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
You ought to see his fire breathing dragon................ He really has one.........

Armorer
03-30-2011, 10:12 PM
I bought some too.

Kinda nostalgic but, if I were a kid, Will's back yard and garage would an exciting adventure. I'd probabally get into some mischief. Might even require a Band-Aid or three.

Supposedly, it was inherited, and Will didn't accumulate the contents.

No matter. It was a brief, but interesting visit.

Thanks to Will and Armorer for pointing me in the correct direction.

Good stuff.

salty

He definitely has an eclectic array of goodies doesn't he? I'd like to go shopping in there myself! While I don't really "need" a firetruck, it would make rush hour quite interesting..lol
On another note, I'm really glad that so many guys are buying from him. I really would have hated to see it scrapped.
:cbpour:

Armorer

Spector
03-31-2011, 12:49 PM
I feel like we won as boolit casters and I sure hope it paid off extra for Will to sell to us instead of just scraping it at some yard..........Mike

nanuk
04-01-2011, 04:55 AM
I feel like we won as boolit casters and I sure hope it paid off extra for Will to sell to us instead of just scraping it at some yard..........Mike

Agreed

up here my "metal dump" recycler will NOT sell to the public. Nothing. Nada...

so much for being environmentally friendly and trying to recycle metal.

meeesterpaul
09-29-2013, 06:06 PM
I see this is an old link but I thought I'd add that I have foundry type and linotype that I will have available for sale. I have access to an X-Ray analyzer and can make up ingots and scan them afterwards or sell the type as it is. I have some scans of the type already.

Defcon-One
09-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Linotype is 4% Tin, 12% Antimony, 84% Lead!

Your Linotype in the scan is not, is it?

Can you explain other than the obvious answer.....

imashooter2
09-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Linotype is 4% Tin, 12% Antimony, 84% Lead!

Your Linotype in the scan is not, is it?

Can you explain other than the obvious answer.....

Foundry fresh linotype is 84/12/4. What you get used from an old print shop is hard scrap lead that should be close to 84/12/4.

HARRYMPOPE
09-29-2013, 07:52 PM
what the above poster said is 100% true-

Dad was a printer and lino was "toned" by the guys if they felt is was not casting as they wanted.They had the molds to pour it into ingots so its all over the board percentage wise but none i have used is anything but a fine casting alloy.just because its is in a lino ingot dont mean its foundry Linotype.The first 10 years i cast i had nothing but Linotype and used it for pistols and rifles with very good luck.

frankenfab
09-30-2013, 12:29 AM
I bought my type metal all at once, $1100 for 1400 lbs. It was all in type and spacer form, but I got 2 of the submarine shaped bar molds in the deal, and melted it all in to bars and Lyman ingots. They had 2 of the old presses at the building where I bought the type, and a lot of it was in trays.

Had it tested years later, when I gave some up for a site benefit:

Pb=77.0%
Sb=11.8%
Sn=4.42%
W=4.14%
Ca=.5%
Te=.37%
I=.75%
Pt=.2%
Au=.7%

I kinda wonder if the tester was messed up or something. But, it has been great stuff.

meeesterpaul
10-03-2013, 01:33 AM
I scanned several pieces and that is about the range I saw; under 3% Sn and under 10%Sb. My foundry type scanned up quite a bit different than what is listed on the Alloy Calculator also. There is a photo of that scan in comment #102 on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators/page6
I was thinking that i would sell the type as is but now I'm thinking that I should duplicate a popular alloy; like Lyman #2, or whatever people prefer.
The harder letterpress types; monotype and foundry type, while get smelted together because I can't tell them apart as well as that x-ray gun. Once I have ingots I'll scan those and share the scan image/info with any buyers.

meeesterpaul
10-03-2013, 01:43 AM
That scanner is pretty interesting isn't it. While specs may suggest the likely mix of an alloy I'm impressed by that X-ray result and will defer to it.
When I make up ingots to sell I will go scan the ingots to verify hat is in the alloy - at least according to the X-ray gun.

meeesterpaul
01-15-2014, 02:51 AM
I don't think it has been mentioned but I think well used linotype looses some Sn and Sb to the dross after multiple remelts.

meeesterpaul
01-15-2014, 02:52 AM
btw; I had foundry type in a rusty tray show about 2%Fe until we wiped the rust dust off.