PDA

View Full Version : mold issue

garbear
03-30-2011, 04:55 PM
I received my mold from group buy from mihec 359640. 2 of my pins stick. one a round hollow point the other a pentagon hollow point. The other ones work great. I have tried them in different cavities and they stick bad. They are very difficult to get out if I want to switch from solid, round hollow point or pentagon hollow pin. I can cast with them but don't want to ruin the mold by having to tap them out. Any suggestions on how to remedy this.

Garbear

kbstenberg
03-30-2011, 05:23 PM
garbear If you go back in the stickies in past GB's. On the 503 Cramer several fixes. Most were miner tweaking of the pins, an just wearing adjustment.

Dale53
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
garbear;
The Mihec pins are screwed together. Unscrew them without marring the surface. When you get them out, you'll see the burr thrown up around the circ-clip from tapping the pins to drop the bullets.

After you have the pin shafts unscrewed, chuck them up in a drill press and CAREFULLY dress off the burr while spinning. I use a fine stone and GO SLOW.

After you have them dressed down, then lubricate the shafts with sprue plate lube and work them back and forth. That should take care of your problem.

However, to avoid having to go through all of that again, PUSH the shafts with your sprue hammer - do NOT strike them. The pin shafts are mild steel and the circ-clips are hard steel. The shaft will suffer. If you merely push the shafts you will NEVER burr them again.

I wipe a small amount of mold release (Rapine or NEI) on the noses of the hollow point pins and the bullets drop right off. You can use spray graphite to do this but do NOT use any oil bearing graphite lube. You will be forever trying to get the hollow points to fill out well.

Dale53

garbear
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I have always pushed them I have never hammered the pins. I take my wood sprue hammer and push them. The boolits drop right off. Thanks.
Garbear

RP
03-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Well I just backed my pins off a 1/2 turn and they went to sliding so good. But I did not know about that fix.

Fire_stick
04-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Had problems with my penta hollow point bullets sticking to the pins, too. Turned the heat up on the hot plate and placed the mold, sprue side down, on the burner. When the mold was hot enough to cast frosted bullets, the penta hollow points fell right off. Then I let the mold cool slightly, just below frosting, and all was well. If bullets started sticking again, new I was letting the mold , and pins, cool too much.

PacMan
04-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Had the same problem with mine.Move from one cavity to another and it same set of pins would stick.Pulled them both out and miked the distance on both sets.The sticking set was slightly wider from one end to the other.
Dwight

ChuckS1
04-24-2011, 02:24 PM
But they are "works of art", as so many have said...how can this be?