PDA

View Full Version : Oven Fans?

BulletFactory
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Does anybody know of a small fan that could be places Inside the oven, to help stabilise the temperature? Anything I have or have considered would likely melt.

jim147
03-30-2011, 05:03 PM
A convection fan. But if it doesn't already have one the whole cutting out the back wall and mounting a fan in there would make it a little costly.

If you have any appliance store around you might be able to find a used oven for little or nothing.

jim

BulletFactory
03-30-2011, 05:39 PM
I was hoping for a do it yourself thing. If I can get a convection oven for free, I would, but otherwise, I'd prefer to just come up with something. Maybe I could put a metal fan blade on a shaft, and run it from a motor on the outside of the stove. Just need a bearing for the shaft to ride as it passes through the stove side or back.

drklynoon
03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
This might sound strange or even wrong but have you thought of using the brolier? Broilers are intended to maintain a more constant temperature.

AZ-Stew
03-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Check out the local yard sales, buy yourself a $10 toaster oven and enjoy!

Read through this thread for the how-to's: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php

The best temperature stabilizer is a metal mass within the oven. You'll need a thermometer (preferably one that uses a thermocouple (long bi-metal wire that changes resistance with heat changes)) so you can tell what's going on inside the oven. Someone posted recently that Sears Craftsman has an inexpensive unit that will work. I just tried a search, but can't find it. Maybe I'll look harder later.

Regards,

Stew

epj
03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Some of the small toaster ovens have a convect setting. Check thrift stores.

GabbyM
03-31-2011, 01:00 AM
My little toaster oven does not work well at all for heat treat.
I use my gas oven regularly and it works fine. Except for the time the phone rang and I melted the tin out of a couple thousand 22 bullets. Now I use less heat (425* for 15 minuites ) for little bullets under 30 caliber.

AZ-Stew
03-31-2011, 03:13 PM
I forgot to mention...

Turn the oven on and let it come up to temp for 20 minutes or so BEFORE putting the boolits in. Most ovens have a wide swing (too hot) at the beginning until the thermostat catches up with the oven cavity temp.

Regards,

Stew

BABore
03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't think I would be mounting a fan in a gas oven with a pilot light. If it doesn't have a thermocouple and gas safety valve, your asking for it. The only convection ovens I've seen were electric.

DrNick
03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Throw a few cast iron frying pans on the bottom rack. It does wonders to smooth out the temperature in the oven.

Rick N Bama
03-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Throw a few cast iron frying pans on the bottom rack. It does wonders to smooth out the temperature in the oven.

Bricks & Pizza Stones work as well.

Rick

steg
04-01-2011, 08:15 AM
I got a toaster oven at Wally world last year it has the convection feature works well for a little under 50 bucks....steg