PDA

View Full Version : Can 32 S&W dies be used to reload 32 ACP?

MarkK
12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Can 32 S&W dies be used to reload 32 ACP? Seems some makers sell then as such. My RCBS set only indicates 32 S&W. Can someone confirm/explain because I'd like to reload both calibers and if my present dies will work well, that would be great! Thanks, MarkK

klausg
12-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Mark-
My Lyman set is .32 H&R, S&W, and ACP. I haven't tried it, (don't own an ACP) but I would think that you could with two provisions. Your seating die will most likely roll crimp, so you'd need a taper crimp die. Also my Lyman set has a different expander plug for ACP; I'm not sure exactly what the difference is as I never really looked at it too much. I can do some closer examination tonight after work and let you know. Hope this helps

-Klaus

mosin9130
12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
MarkK
would be easiest to use 32 acp for 32 S&W. The 32 S&W is much longer than Acp and "fatter" (.314 cal. vs. .308 to .311). The shell of 32 Acp is semi-rimmed so you can safe roll crimp but I dubt that you can ever do it with a 32 S&W seater die.
Nevertheless, I've easily reloaded many 32 Acp using 32 S&W dies (Hornady, not roll crimped) until I bought a Lee 32 Acp carbo die set to replace the 32 S&W set thas was worn.
Now I use the 32 Acp to reload Acp, S&W and 7.65 long french.
Mosin9130

woody1
12-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Can 32 S&W dies be used to reload 32 ACP? Seems some makers sell then as such. My RCBS set only indicates 32 S&W. Can someone confirm/explain because I'd like to reload both calibers and if my present dies will work well, that would be great! Thanks, MarkK

Give it a try and see. My RCBS set says that it's for the ACP & S&W Long. Is yours for the S&W (short) or the 32 S&W Long? If it's for the S&W (short) I'd bet you could use it. If it's actually for the 32 Long, it might be same situation as the old 357 Mag dies that were too long to I think it was seat and crimp the 38 specials. BUT, whatdahay, give 'er a try and see. You will need different expander plugs and possibly seating stems too in addition to the proper shellholder. Regards, Woody

rbwillnj
12-06-2006, 10:27 AM
If the die set is for 32 S&W, it should work for 32 ACP. If its for 32 S&W Long, you might run into a problem with the expander. You could end up expanding the entire case before you get a flair in the case mouth.