PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the weather

MikeACP
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Does weather factor in when smelting? Obviuosly, rain would. What about Cool or cold weather, or hot humid days. My smelting would be outside or near the garage oor close to outside.

Bulltipper
03-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Pick a day with light breeze going directly away from people and houses. (smelting smoke can make normal people into rabid enviro's real fast) heat and humidity are all about how much you can take...

dragonrider
03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
I smelt in spring and fall in cooler but not cold weather.

MikeACP
03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
(smelting smoke can make normal people into rabid enviro's real fast)
Sounds like good advice since I'm in the inner city. Thanks, I didn't know how or if it affected ww smelts.

Defcon-One
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I used a fryer base for heat with a 5 quart dutch oven as my pot.

My experience is that in the really cold weather the lead tends to solidify partially on the sides of the pot. Especially if there is a good bit of wind pushing the cold air around the pot. A wind shield helps some, and you can burn more gas to compensate, but I usually wait until it is 45 degrees or higher outside anyway. I think you get a better mix that way.

I give up after 85 degrees because the heat from the smelter can be a bother above that, but everyone is different.

In the city, I'd smelt in smaller batches and pre-sort the trash from the lead to reduce the negative effect on the neighbors. As Bulltipper says, a good neighbor can quickly become a major problem when there is smoke from the smelter blowing into his yard or house.

MikeACP
03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of 10-20lb smelts bad see how bad that is.

clodhopper
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
I choos e to do most my smelting in the cooler months more clothes more better.