PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Upgrade/Repair

Wilsknife
03-30-2011, 02:16 AM
I bought one of those *** Chicago Vibrating Tumblers from HF. It was not assembled well and came apart the first time I used it. I tightened everything up and it seemed to be OK. I filled it with some brass and crushed walnut shells, started it and went to work in another area of the homestead. When I went back to the shop a couple of hours later, I found it with the bowl on the floor and the base vibrating all over the workbench. The shaft had snapped right above the motor. DAMN! can't justify buying a new one, so I hatched a plan to replace the shaft with 5/16ths all-thread. I took awhile, but tonight was the first test run with the heavier shaft. It worked great. Let it run
1 1/2 hours without a problem or it moving at all. This while I decapped 1000 9mm cases. I'm hopeful that the larger shaft will last longer than the 1/4-20 all thread did.:cbpour: :killingpc:razz:

fcvan
03-30-2011, 02:23 AM
It sounds like you have a good plan for your repair. I dont what the *** HF tumbler costs but it sounds like it was not well constructed. I've been running a Lyman 1200 for 25 years and it is still going strong. If the *** HF doesnt hold up the Lyman is only 45 bucks at MidwayUSA right now. I am thinking of getting another for a friend who just got into reloading. They are worth it. Good luck! Frank

1hole
03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
"If the *** HF doesnt hold up the Lyman is only 45 bucks "

Lyman has a 1/4 x 20 center bolt as well, in fact, every brand I've seen is the same.

If we don't snug up the bowl retaining nuts properly any of those center bolts are subject to stress cracking from the viberation but that's a user adjustment; there's little the makers can do to correct for it! ??

jcwit
03-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Not a fan of the Harbor Freight tumbler at all, went thru 4 of them, then got my money back. But with that said, why does everything that gives someone problems that is cheaper in price become a ***, while an expensive item just needs repair or replacement and thats the way it it.

Regarding the use of ***, seems like many have a difficult time expressing themselves in a civil manner.

mtgrs737
03-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I would guess that the HF unit's 1/4" shaft had a quality issue, maybe the threaded shaft was cut with a die that left too little metal at the root of the thread and thus weakened it. Maybe the metal was of poor quality and had strength issues. Maybe the threaded shaft was made from metal that was too hard and thus brittle. I have five thumblers and all have 1/4" threaded shafts none of which have broken in many, many hours of use over the last 25 years. I would replace the shaft with a good quality American made one and not worry about it. (Just as you did).

bumpo628
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Congrats on fixing it instead of replacing the unit.
It can be frustrating sometimes to deal with low-quality tools, but now that you fixed the weak point it will last quite a while. Too many people just chuck things in the trash when all it takes is a little thought and time.

cbunt1
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Buy cheap, buy twice.

That said, many many times I've picked up HF tools and equipment and been satisfied with it. Sometimes it needs a little "re-engineering" but that's part of the fun. Besides, I'd re-engineer the good stuff too, so might as well start on a $5 part instead of a $50 part!