03-29-2011, 11:25 PM
I need a .360 sizer die for the Lyman 450

I see I have a extra .356 that actualy sizes to .355

One of these evenings I planned to just hone it out
But I got to thinking the old ejector pin might be to small now
And I will have to make a new one
Or end up with lube squirting out the bottom between the pin and die

Or am I over thinking it ?

What is a general rule of thumb , how much smaller can the pin be than the sizer die ?

Thanks
John

jmsj
03-29-2011, 11:53 PM
johnch,
I don't really know the answer to exactly how much undersized a person can get away w/. I think the type of lube might make a difference also.
I honed out a RCBS .429 sizer to .431 and when using the original ejector pin and FWFL it leaked pretty good.This was my first batch of FWFL and it was pretty soft. The softness of the lube might have made it easier to leak by. I don't remember what the original pin measured. I just turned a new one and polished it until it just slid through the .431 sizer die and the problem went away.
jmsj

Jarel
03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I think it will have to be a close fit regardless of the lube. If it is a hard lube then you have to heat it to about the same softness as a lube that does not need heated to get it to flow. So I would expect it to leak no matter what lube you use.

03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
John,
I've done a couple and they leak somewhat, but not enough to be bothersome. I view the leak as a small price to pay for not having to buy a die.

That said, I just had Buckshot make a .318" die and am extremely pleased with both his craftsmanship and pricing.

deltaenterprizes
03-30-2011, 11:47 AM
File a groove in the pin and use an "O" ring, that should solve the leaking problem.

Johnch
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks

Not a problem turning a new ejector pin
Just hate doing something not needed

Never tryed or thought of a O ring

John

Calamity Jake
03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
If your going to try the O ring thing it will take 2, one at the top and one at the bottom.

For about 2 bucks and a little shipping you can order a single "gage pin" for the size needed, in your case a .359, all you will need to do is cut it to length.

mscdirect.com has SPI (there cheapest) pin gages, 2010 cat. says $1.97
Order the + tolerance pin it will be .3592

dragonrider
03-31-2011, 11:53 AM
"For about 2 bucks and a little shipping you can order a single "gage pin" for the size needed, in your case a .359, all you will need to do is cut it to length."

Excellent Idea.

Johnch
03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
If your going to try the O ring thing it will take 2, one at the top and one at the bottom.

For about 2 bucks and a little shipping you can order a single "gage pin" for the size needed, in your case a .359, all you will need to do is cut it to length.

mscdirect.com has SPI (there cheapest) pin gages, 2010 cat. says $1.97
Order the + tolerance pin it will be .3592

Thanks
I will keep them in mind

Probely cheaper in the long run

John