PDA

View Full Version : Mould lube

Wrbjr
03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Anyone have success lubing the pins ect on Lee aluminum moulds with something other than boolit lube? I am out and will order some but in the mean time was hoping something else might suffice.

onondaga
03-29-2011, 04:19 PM
You and your molds would be happier if you stop using bullet lube altogether on molds and try Clear Silicone dielectric grease from a car parts store. There will be no discoloring, no stickiness, no caking up with the dielectric grease. Just apply the slightest shine to the areas you want to lube with a Q-tip after you get the old gunk off with comet, a brush and hot water.

Gary

Wrbjr
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Cool. Never would have thought of that one. Will get some tonight.

Thanks

theperfessor
03-29-2011, 05:54 PM
BullPlate from the Bullshop is great stuff. They are vendor sponsors here. Just email them and they'll set you up. No connection to them, just a very satisfied user. I'm sure other members will tell you the same thing.

Springfield
03-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Yeah, the Bullplate will lube AND keep lead from sticking to the mould face and plate surfaces.

CWME
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I was using Halvoline 2 Stroke oil before I got a sample of Bullplate lube with my NOE mold. Worked for me...As does the bullplate=)

cbunt1
03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I had dabbled with most everything...beeswax, boolit lube, anti-seize, dielectric grease...

Then I bought a MiHec mold, and tried out the sample of BullPlate.

I'm sold. Plenty of stuff will "work" but BullPlate is perfect for casting. Someone on here said that "nobody should be subjected to casting without BullPlate" and I think that's a true statement.

So to keep it simple, BullPlate's the best IMHO. The other stuff will work. If I didn't have bullplate, I'd go with a synthetic 2-stroke oil, and if I couldn't get that, I'd use a tiny bit of either anti-seize or dielectric grease...as a last resort boolit lube works, but it can create as many problems as it fixes.

Wrbjr
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Tried to order some Bullplate as well but the website has no point of sale? Am I missing something ?

theperfessor
03-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Just pm or email them with what you want. They will get back with you with all necessary info. At least that's how I ordered my BullPlate and Speed Green. Nice folks to deal with.

Wrbjr
03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Ok. Thanks to all that took the time to offer advice and suggestions. I will certainly give these suggestions a whirl while waiting on this Bullplate.

Had to cancel my casting plans this week due to rain and the fact I cast outside currently. Hope to have some fair weather in a few days. This "hobby" is addictive...

EDK
03-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Had to cancel my casting plans this week due to rain and the fact I cast outside currently. Hope to have some fair weather in a few days. This "hobby" is addictive...

Used to cast in the garage...got divorced and lost the garage. Became a fair weather caster....to old to freeze my *** off outside. Got a 12X24 shed roughed in...fire up the MAGNUM MELTER and the kerosun heater until it gets to about 10; too d*** cold then!

My Brother

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Wrbjr
04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
With you on the cold weather thing. Trying to figure out how to get a shed going myself. So many projects, so little time.

cajun shooter
04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
The other grease that was posted along with lubes will work but not near as good as Bullplate. I hope you ordered more than one as I'll bet you spill it on the bench. A q-tip amount will go a long way and last for many pours. You will wonder how people ever casted with out it.

MtGun44
04-06-2011, 12:27 AM
+1 on Bull Plate lube.

Bill

Piedmont
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
The best stuff I have used for the pins, sprueplate hinge, and mould handles when they get binding is the stick of lube LBT sends out with each mould. You use it on a hot mould and just a tiny dab will do you since it creeps like you won't believe. It is like magic. I think it is graphite in something like his bullet lube.

I use Bullplate on the sprue plate proper and it is best for that.

cwskirmisher
04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I've used Rapine Mould Prep for years with good success. It is a graphite in an alochol carrier. Nothing sticks to it, and it works well. A similar product still available is Midway Drop-Out. A spray on solution that is the same thing as the q-tip version of Mould Prep.

a.squibload
04-07-2011, 02:45 AM
I used Bullplate on the alignment pins of a Lee mold the other night
and it started to hang up on closing. Got a couple of offset boolits.
It closed fine before.
I applied it while the mold was hot.
First time to use the stuff, I might have put too much?
Also I noticed the Qtip was destroyed by that one application,
maybe some of the Qtip melted on the pins?
Yesterday eve. I tried it again on different molds, only I cut the fuzz off the Qtip first,
seemed to work better.
Maybe I'll try using a toothpick.