PDA

View Full Version : range lead questions

koyote
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
So, I've been building up to this slowly, started reloading in the past year, but I've been looking at future casting. I've managed to snag a few boxes of lead here and there- large 6 ounce and even 2 pound fishing weights (about 18 pounds worth)

Well, I started picking up some range lead here and there, about 15 pounds so far.

What do you do about the copper?

I haven't melted a thing yet, Haven't bought a melting pot, but I'm working on what I'm going to have to do once I have a pot and some ingot molds to start.

bumpo628
03-29-2011, 01:36 PM
The copper jackets will float to the top when you smelt the range lead. You'll just skim them off with the dross ehen you flux.

You don't necessarily have to buy ingot molds. You just need something to pool the clean lead into for storage. Obviosly ingot molds are the best, but you can make your own with angle iron or muffin pans or many other things.

Check out the thrift stores for melting pots, ladles, skimmers, and anything cast iron. Only get steel or cast iron stuff, no aluminum.

koyote
03-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I can easily make myself some ingot blocks, but I have a few extra egg poaching pans and a 4 inch cast iron pan that's far in excess of what we need (we have a LOT of cast iron)

I'd gathered, reading some literature from a Specific Company, that aluminum was okay to use.

truckjohn
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Aluminum is ok *IF*....... you don't get it too hot.....

Aluminum gets massively "Hot short" when you get it near the melting temp of lead (~600F or so)..... This means it turns very weak and crumbly..... As you may imagine - that would pose certain safety risks when melting lead at say 800F...... and a gallon of lead weights ~200 lbs or so....

It's OK for molds... Probably OK for ingot molds.... Don't melt lead in it, though...

Thanks

koyote
03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Ah, molds was the specific use I was thinking of. I was really thinking of buying a pot for melting to avoid wife issues with the kitchen. though I could use my forge if I was really careful and ran only the back burner. (melting in the front)

fredj338
03-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Ah, molds was the specific use I was thinking of. I was really thinking of buying a pot for melting to avoid wife issues with the kitchen. though I could use my forge if I was really careful and ran only the back burner. (melting in the front)

Yeah, you don't want to smelt in the kitchen, it can get ugly quick. A large cast iron dutch oven is perfect, a large cast iron skillet is ok for smaller amount. Throw it on a turkey fryer & turn up the heat.