PDA

View Full Version : swaged lead,,, no jackets

45nut
03-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I know hornady probably has their own lube recipe and knurling machine,, but you think we can swage a boolit, run it over with a file for grip and tumble lube it for light loads? [smilie=s:

danr
03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
I know hornady probably has their own lube recipe and knurling machine,, but you think we can swage a boolit, run it over with a file for grip and tumble lube it for light loads? [smilie=s:

i dont see why not.. i've made molds with no grease grooves and used liquid alox lube with them.. no problems..

ANeat
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I know Buck has swaged his own for paper patching.

Just knurling with a file and something like LLA or Rooster jacket would probably do fine for most handgun loads

b2riesel
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I use range scrap with an air cooled BNH of about 12 with some 45/45/10 tumble lubed on a TC-230 on my .45 with 4.0gr Bullseye and get no leading.

I use same range scrap water quenched to about 18-20BNH with some 45/45/10 tumble lubed on a TC-175 for my .40 with 4.2gr Bullseye and get no leading...I've even shot the same with 4.9gr bullseye approaching 40,000 PSI with very little leading after 500 rounds shot in less than 1 hour.

I had some leading using straight Lee Alox...but I think it was due to me shooting too soon after tumble lubing. I prefer the 45/45/10 because of the low smoke compared to straight Lee Alox.

I find there is no need to rough up the lead to get the lube to adhere...I just leave the freshly poured bullets warm to the touch when I start to shake them in the lube and let set for a few days in the same cool whip dish and shake occassionally.

BT Sniper
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM
I got some big 44 cal lead bullets I swaged for cores in the .458. I'll have to see if that file idea will work, I bet it would. Only thing is you would be stuck with "soft" lead bullets unless you heat treat them after they are swaged. They do make knurling tools for exactly the purpose you mentioned though.

BT

runfiverun
03-30-2011, 01:23 PM
yes.
i also swage up 375 win boolits g/c'ed and lubed to the 44 size no problems and have a couple of small lube grooves left in place.
i was running my canellure tool around them and filling with lube before i tried that.
i have also swaged 41/44 caliber gas checks into place with other cores.
if you lube before you swage you'll keep the grooves intact.
i change the shape of many cast boolits i have on hand . or add a hollow point.

ReloaderFred
03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
I also swage lead bullets into other shapes and sizes. As runfiverun says, as long as you lube them first, the lube holds in place and that's all you have to do. It's really easy to do, as long as you've got the proper swaging dies.

I also make flat point bullets from NATO profile 9mm bullets for use in 357 Sig and 9x25 Dillon, since neither of those rounds can use a round nose bullet. I had several thousand of the RN 9mm bullets, but needed flat points. A jacketed bullet is really easy to change the profile on.

I have one .38 caliber swaging die that produces bullets at .361" diameter. This is perfect for .38 S&W bullets, and I have a couple of friends with those guns. I simply run a .357" or .358" lubed lead bullet up into the swaging die and it comes out as a completed .38 S&W bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

firefly1957
03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
I also swage cast lubed bullets to not only other shapes but other calibers. lubed 150 gr 38 wad cutters make nice light weight bullets for 45 ACP they shoot good and no leading IF I keep the speed down.