PDA

View Full Version : anybody done a 35/303 conversion?

MBTcustom
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I have a #4mark1 that I am going to convert to 35/303.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=496&pictureid=3430
I know this is a fairly common upgrade in NZ and Australia. I was wondering if there is any wisdom out there about the easiest way to go about this / things to watch out for / problems to be avoided? any and all details will be helpful as I am going to start this project in the coming weeks.

camotes2
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Hello; Just to let you know my friend, you are not the only one contemplating such an animal. I have been mulling the idea over for quite some time. I have settled on case dimentions of a .35 Rem. on the front, and leave the rear of the case alone. So it will end up being improved a little with a nice little shoulder, and of course use .303 brass as the parent case. Because my dad has a new set of .35Rem neck size dies, heheeh.
Although I have not yet started the project, seems like everytime I have the $ saved for the barrel, some household emergency takes my money. So I will sell off my fast twist .585 blank to finance the required bits and pieces. As for a chambering reamer I plan to grind it from an existing industrial reamer from a surplus dealer. And have a removeable bronze pilot bushing. This system has worked fine for me in the past, on a .308x1.5" in my 40X.
Donor rifle is a No.4 Mk1 that was sporterised by Eaton's mail order house. And will be a scout rifle configuration. So, what final shape will yours tend to be? I think I should be up to the task??? But I also am wide open for ideas and help...

Sincerely; Camotes2

2152hq
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
I did a commercial made (Watson Bros) Martini sporter in 303 to 35-303.
The bore was gone. I removed the bbl & sent it to JES reboring. He rebored to 35cal and opened the neck up & cut the throat. No other changes in the chamber.
I can reload (neck size) with my set of 35Remington dies.

Turn-around on the reboring work was about 2 weeks.
One of his standard reboring jobs is the 303 to 35-303 and lists the Lee Enfield in particular.
http://www.35caliber.com/