PDA

View Full Version : Deresonator

Ivantherussian03
12-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi All, I saw an advertisement from Limbsaver.com about barrel deresonators?

I am curious what do they do?

And do they add anything to a shooter's skills/results?:Fire:

[smilie=1:

porkchop bob
12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Ivan, you ask good questions. Here are my thoughts on this subject.

A barrel is a heavy wall pipe, supported at the receiver. When a shot is fired, the barrel will vibrate with a wave like motion, or resonates. If the end on the barrel was always in the same position, up or down, left or right – it does not matter, when the bullet exits, you could adjust your sights and always hit the center of the target. You can never stop the vibration, but the idea is to decrease it by sliding a weight along the length of the barrel until you reach a node that result in the smallest movement. When you change the weight of the bullet or the powder charge, the location of that node will change. When it does, just move the weight until you find it again. Taking a scope off the barrel or using a sling just adds variables to this problem. The Browning Boss, for example, is moveable weight that is used as a de-resonator. When you think about it, barrel resonation has a lot to do with finding the ‘right’ boolit and powder combination. What is ‘right’ for one rifle may not be ‘right’ for another.

The more you shoot and grow aware of the various factors, you will find your results will be better. Beside it is fun shooting and you will find yourself doing a lot of shooting as you try to find the best combination.

Be safe and have fun.

Bob

Lee
12-04-2006, 12:39 AM
porkchop bob has managed to highlight several issues I have been unable to express.
But IMHO I will express this; save your money, go ask a high-schooler taking Chemistry 101 to get you a #0 rubber stopper. Bore a hole thru it slightly smaller than your rifle barrel, and install it on your barrel.
Keep your hands on your wallet and don't waste your time supporting the LimbSaverBarrelDeresonatorCorporation.
I'm probably wrong, I've been wrong before, but I think that product is designed to de-liver money from your pockets to theirs. Think about it, if it worked 1/2 as good as their ads says it does, you wouldn't have to ask around if anybody knows anything about it. Everyone would have one, and everyone would know about it. That's just my $0.02 worth..............................Lee:)

Pepe Ray
12-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Did you ever see or hear of the BOSS system?
Win/Browning added it to several of there models a few years ago.
Same basic principal, vibration control.
Pepe Ray

scrapcan
12-04-2006, 11:45 AM
do a search using the search engine of choice for rifle barrel harmonics, there is good info out there.

the 22 rimfire crowd has been using this with success for along time. Many different styles, types, and configurations. the intent is just as what was mentioned earlier, to move the wave form to match up with the bullets exit.

Remington does this with their factory rifles by putting a pressure point at the forearm. We do it everyday by working up loads, we are matching pressure curve (plus other factors like bullet fit, pressrue etc.) to firearm harmonics.

Lots of ways to tune the harmonics, the limbsaver is but another.

versifier
12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
As Dave next door pointed out to me last year, the easiest way to adjust your rifle is to loosen the action screws and slide a 1" wide section of rubber inner tube under the barrel. Retighten the screws and fire a few shots with a known accurate load for which the rifle is already sighted in. Loosen the screws, adjust the position of the rubber, retighten the screws, and fire another group. Repeat until you have found the spot that tightens up the groups the most. Take a sharp razor knife and trim the rubber so that it is not visable. Every time you change your boolit or charge, this point will shift, so it doesn't make sense to do it for working up loads and experimenting with different boolits, but it is the quickest and cheapest way to tune your rifle to get the best accuracy out of one specific load.

AZ-Stew
12-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Ivan,

Porkchop bob pretty much covered it. I first saw the BOSS at the NRA convention in Phoenix, AZ, in 1995. I was wandering around the exhibit hall and decided to check out the Browning/Winchester display. As soon as I saw the BOSS I realized what it was, slapped myself a good one on the forehead and gave a big Homer Simpson "DOH!" for not thinking of it myself (I'm a mechanical designer for a living).

Since Br/Win holds the patent (probably several) on the device as they implemented it, the Limbsaver folks had to find a way to get around the patent(s). A rubber covered weight that slips onto the barrel but has enough friction to stay put during recoil will do the job, but IMO is not an aesthetic gem of design (i.e., it looks like $#!t). The best thing about the Br/Win device is that it's adjustable in small increments due to its screw thread design. It's easier to make fine adjustments with it. Its biggest drawback is that it incorporates a muzzle brake, making rifles to which it's attached obnoxiously loud for the shooter and bystanders, especially in Magnum chamberings.

It'll be another 15-16 years before the Br/Win patent runs out, unless they decide to extend it, so don't look for a similar solution from other manufacturers until then.

Regards,

Stew

Johnch
12-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Well they told you how it works .

I will tell you it works , but IMO butt ugly

Never thought about a rubber stopper

Johnch