PDA

View Full Version : Opening up a Sizing Die

Sliver Shooter
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Not sure if this is the place for this but, How does one open up the size of a sizing die? I have a Lee .308 that throws .306 bullets. It's ok for PPing but I'd like the GCed to be .308.

BulletFactory
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
lurking

dakotashooter2
03-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Sounds like you need your mold opened up not the sizing die........ If it is a new mold I would consider returning it and getting it replaced. It may be cut undersized. Other options are "beagling" the mould (use the search to get more info) or changing your alloy but I'm not sure that will gain you the .002 you are looking for. Ideally you probably want to be at .309-.3095 for best results.

wiljen
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing DakotaShooter2 missed the mark and that the die is sizing them to .306 not the mold dropping them at that size. If that is the case, go down to the auto parts store and buy some clover compound (valve grinding compound) of about 600 grit or smaller (I use 800). Cast a batch of bullets that are close to the dimension you want. Coat the bullet (except the base) with the compound and run it through the die repeatedly. (I use 3 or 4 bullets in rotation to push through the die). When those 4 bullets no longer give any resistance, replace them with 4 more and repeat. It wont take long for this to cut out .002 so wash the die out thoroughly and run a bullet through it without compound after every few passes and mic it to see where you are. I recut a .308 to .314 that way in about an hour.

DragoonDrake
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Wiljen, thank you for posting that. I am going to steal that. Does that also work with Lyman/RCBS style dies?

Linstrum
03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Wiljen's way works great, I've used it.

Another way that is good for Lee and other push-through sizing dies is I take a 1/8" cotter pin about 3" long and wind up a long 3/4" wide strip of some 600 grit sandpaper between the legs on the cotter pin and spin it with an electric drill motor inside the sizing die. That hones it out like a mini-cylinder hone. Move the wad of sandpaper back and forth, it has to be a pretty tight fit to work. It cuts rapidly and if you aren't careful you can go oversize real fast, so take measurements every ten or fifteen seconds of honing by running a boolit through the die and measuring the boolit to see what size it is coming out at. When I do it I take some strips of typing paper first and wind that up under the sandpaper so it doesn't use up all the sandpaper just to get the rolled-up part to fit the die.

rl997

BulletFactory
03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
A little oil helps with that.

Linstrum
03-29-2011, 01:47 PM
A little oil helps with that.

Yup! Thanks for mentioning it.

rl998

Bad Water Bill
03-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey Linstrum ONLY 2 posts and you get a free boolit.:bigsmyl2:

:CastBoolitsisbest:

Sliver Shooter
03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys, I just took my die and reamed it with 600 grit and I got it to about .3075. Close enough for right now. I just wanted to get it closer to .308 than it was. Worked good

onondaga
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
This pic of mine is from a post on another subject but look at the wooden stick in the drill chuck. It has oiled 300 grit emery cloth in the slotted end of the stick. This is the same setup I used to enlarge my .309" Lee Lube and Size die to .312"

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/X39Mandrel.jpg

It doesn't take much. Use slow rpm, oil and slow passes. Usually about 20 seconds will take off .001". Then test size and measure your bullet.

gary

LEADHOPPER
03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Make friends with a machinist that has access to a hone and have him do it for you.

wiljen
03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Wiljen, thank you for posting that. I am going to steal that. Does that also work with Lyman/RCBS style dies?

It might work for lymans, dont see why it wouldn't. In all honesty though I have not tried it to be certain.

EDK
03-29-2011, 11:48 PM
It might work for lymans, dont see why it wouldn't. In all honesty though I have not tried it to be certain.

If you hone the LYMAN/RCBS style dies very much, the lube will leak around the plunger(?) that goes up and down in the die...especially if you put a lot of pressure on the lube.

I used LYMANS for years until I bought the STAR. Knowing what I know now, I'd use either a LEE push through sizer or go straight to the STAR.

:redneck::Fire::castmine:

DragoonDrake
03-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Thank you edk. I did not think about that.

shotman
03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Some auto plases sell very small "button " hones that go down to 1/4 in {about25cal] but you need tobe carefull and keep a good movement going . for one or 2 the valve compound and dowel works. you can make any size dowel with a drill and sand paper