PDA

View Full Version : Accurizing A Mosin-Nagant

Josh Smith
03-29-2011, 04:56 AM
Hello,

Author's note: I wrote this in response to a question asked at InGunOwners.com. The responses were such that I thought maybe someone could benefit from it as an article instead of just an answer, so I'm sharing it out as such.

I've been getting asked on the board and via PM how I accurized my MN 91/30.

With all due respect to N_K_1984 and his hard work, I do not believe that the answer lies in floating the barrel. I'll get to that in a minute.

First, torque the action screws to 50in-lbs and shoot the rifle. It may be good the way it is! The PU snipers were just ones pulled from the line because they demonstrated better-than-normal accuracy.

If you're unhappy with the accuracy, you'll need to shim the sear spring/trigger/return spring. They're the same thing. Pull that piece out. While it's out, dress the sear down with a fine stone -- I like to work up to 600 grit for this, but any fine stone should work. Just don't change the angles! Also, stone the area on the sear spring contacted by the trigger. It's all very easy and straightforward.

Next, get a piece of shim stock. It should be 0.020" thick or so. Cut it to fit, drill a hole, and install it between the sear spring and the action. Do not go overboard; you should have an 8lb pull that resembles a revolver trigger. Any less, I consider dangerous, and if it's smooth, it doesn't feel like 8lbs.

Go shoot it. The improved trigger will help you get the inherent accuracy from your rifle.

Now, with regard to the barrel, there are two schools of thought: Floating and bedding. I am usually in the school that says “float”, but the barrel of the Mosin-Nagant is really too thin to float well.

With apologies to N_K_1984, I will pick on his targets because he has the most awesome sporterized Mosin-Nagant I’ve ever seen. However, it needs improvement and this may help him some, too!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Mosin%20Nagant/With%20Apologies/target1.jpg
I believe this to be the first target he shot. The reason is that the three-shot group near the bullseye speaks of a cold barrel. However, as the barrel heated up, it threw the last two a bit high.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Mosin%20Nagant/With%20Apologies/target2.jpg
In what is probably the second target, you can see how the circle becomes pronounced.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Mosin%20Nagant/With%20Apologies/target3.jpg
I am guessing this is the third target shot. It shows a heated thin barrel: It’s shooting large rings.

Floating a barrel is great, but only if it’s not skinny. A fix for this barrel would be a de-resonator about an inch in front of the stock, and a series of o-rings rolled down the barrel to the end, all touching. As is, the circles are not a whole lot bigger because the “cosmetic” thing he has hanging off the barrel’s muzzle is acting a bit like an old BOSS unit (it’s really doing something there, man, not just decoration as you stated in another thread!)

The next option is to bed the barrel.

1. Go to Autozone. Get thin cork gasket material. It should run you about $5.
2. Sand the barrel channel smooth, cut a strip of cork gasket material, and lay it in the barrel channel.
3. Put the barreled action back in, and cut off the excess cork wherever you see any.

Go shoot it. The bedding is allowing the stock and handguard to act as sort of a heavy target barrel. That’s not exactly right, but you won’t be shooting circles and the harmonics will be way down.

Now, bed the action. Just pillar bed (instructions of all sorts are on the Web), heck, I just cut more cork and put it between the points on the action where the screws enter and the stock, then torque to 50in-lb. You just need known pressure points, not random ones.

The rest really depends on the ammo. The 7.62x54r uses .311” bullets, while domestic ammo uses .308” bullets. If you want accuracy, you’re going to have to go with Priv Partisan or S&B. You can reload these cases too, and .311” bullets are readily available as are dies and reloading data. If someone will measure a 7.62x54r from Winchester, please post it. I may be wrong in that it’s still .308, but it was about five years back.

I hope this helps someone.

Josh

Copyright© Joshua M. Smith. I don't give a tinker's damn if you share this out or not; the "©" thing just seems to be in vogue right now! Haha!

truckjohn
03-30-2011, 02:01 PM
If you look at the design bedding scheme of the Mosin Nagant - you will notice it is "Designed" to be bedded almost identical to the Swiss K31 rifle..... It is supposed to have a pressure point/restriction at the muzzle, and the rest of the barrel free inside the stock....

Then, the front recoil lug of the action is meant to be shimmed up or down to put the right pressure on the end of the barrel......

What you will find is that they frequently didn't pay too much attention to adjusting the bedding so they would shoot right... Maybe it happened during re-arsenal or wherever.. Who knows.... Unfortunately, this means you end up with all sorts of gyrations of improper fitting..... Barrels pulling up, pulling sideways, way too much down pressure, handguards and stock rubbing the barrel in random spots, etc...

What I would try first.....

Pull the front handguard totally off and then tighten the stock screws.... Which way does the end of the barrel move? If it moves Up - there is either too much wood under the front recoil lug, or not enough under the rear action screw..... I like adding shims rather than removing wood......

Now.. try shooting some light loads with different levels of action screw tightness - rifles that shoot best with very light rear action screws typically need shims under the tang on the back of the receiver.... Same for the front action screws... You need enough shim under the proper spot in the stock so that it shoots best with good snug pressure on both screws.

Now - with the handguard and forestock.... They also didn't always seem real careful about fitting these.... especially mid-war.... so you end up with them rubbing the barrel or pushing funny directions... They shouldn't be rubbing on the barrel except at the action and at the muzzle.

It's pretty easy to try all these ideas out with cardstock and paper scraps before you go and sand big holes in the stock..... That's the place to start... You will likely be pretty surprised with the results.....

My own 1941 SA marked Iveshvek 91/30 went from shooting 6" groups to 1"-2" groups just by shimming the back receiver tang so the muzzle was lightly pushing straight down into the stock instead of pushing Up against the handguard and off to the left.... Total expenditure - 10 minutes and 2-pieces of business card scraps....

Thanks