PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no load data for...

TonyM
03-29-2011, 01:31 AM
...the 454 Casull using Varget powder? Does it burn too slow? I've been using Lil Gun with great results, but my dispenser hates that powder.... however, it loves Varget (And I use that in all of my 223 stuff, so I have a ton of it)... I guess I might be chasing a rainbow here, but any info or insight would be greatly appreciated....

Looking at the burn chart, Lil Gun seems quite a bit faster than Varget... but I see other powders closer to Varget that are listed in some 454 Casull loads.... some even slower than Varget.... what gives?....

Piedmont
03-29-2011, 01:59 AM
I don't load the round but think you hit the nail on the head with it just being too slow burning. You could probably load a case full and get low velocities and poor cumbustion.

bobthenailer
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I have been loading for the 454 casull for over 14 years and VARGET burn rate is too slow for the casull ! its really a rifle powder .
Although i only tried it AA 1680 is about the slowest powder that can be used in the 454 and still get decent velocity!
The powders i use for the 454 are Tightgroup , HS6 , surplus WW 820 , WW 296 & H110 .
I also used to use LILGUN but have experinced some cyl face and forcing cone erosion on my revolvers useing that powder.

TonyM
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
.... thats what I figured.. tooo slow...

Thanks for the input guys... I guess I'll start looking at the faster burning extruded powders, since thats what my dispenser seems to like best...

LUCKYDAWG13
03-29-2011, 11:55 AM
my 454 loves H110

wiljen
03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Ran some #s for you just for kicks and grins. Quickload 3.4 shows the 454 Casull loaded with the 300gr Lee C452-300-RF to an OAL of 1.680 if loaded with 27gr of Varget gives 950 fps from a 10 inch barrel. At the very best, it is a pretty inefficient load. If you had no other powder in a survival situation, I'd certainly use it, but for loading plinkers on purpose, you can create a load with the same velocity using roughly 6.5gr of Red Dot. With the current cost of powder I'd save the Varget for rifle cartridges.

TonyM
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Thats good to know... Thanks. I've pretty much determined Varget is not a good choice. I will keep it for the ARs...

I may just stick with Lil Gun (As I have a bunch of that as well), or I may try H110...

Thanks again for the responses... :Fire:

bobthenailer
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Again from my post ! LILGUN has started to eroded the front of my cyls and forcing cone and caused barrel leading in 2 of my FA revolvers that i had to fire lap to stop leading !!
FA has tested and warned about useing LILGUN powder in there 454 cal guns !
I also bought a 8 lb jug of LILGUN a few years ago ! ill use it up somewhere but not in my FA revolvers.

Doc Highwall
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
The Varget might work in a rifle length barrel but is too slow for a short hand gun barrel.

TonyM
03-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Again from my post ! LILGUN has started to eroded the front of my cyls and forcing cone and caused barrel leading in 2 of my FA revolvers that i had to fire lap to stop leading !!
FA has tested and warned about useing LILGUN powder in there 454 cal guns !
I also bought a 8 lb jug of LILGUN a few years ago ! ill use it up somewhere but not in my FA revolvers.

I have well over a thousand rounds through my 5.5" TRB and have not experienced any of those problems. I have read about the FAs and Lil Gun however, so I know that's a real problem. I primarily shoot jacketed bullets through it, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

That being said, I am going to try the H110 and see how it performs. If I can get the same velocities, I may switch just to be safe... :drinks: