PDA

View Full Version : Redhawk poor mans trigger & accuracy work

30hrrtt
03-28-2011, 11:26 PM
I have a 5 1/2" stainles Redhawk that had the worst trigger pull I ever seen, heavy and rough. It was very accurate off the bench with jacketed. Leaded like crazy at the cone with lead. It had a restriction of over .002. I didn't have the funds for accuracy work so I messed around for a couple months here and there pulling the trigger repeatedly. Probably a couple thousand times or more by now. It is now acctually acceptable now and smooth:-)

Now working on the restriction. So far 119 fire lapping loads with the 280. Didn't even bother with the fine. About half the restriction is gone. Hopefully another hundred firelap rounds and the baby will be ready for boolits.

watkibe
03-28-2011, 11:50 PM
I've had a stainless Redhawk since 1988. I may have put Wolfe springs in it, but other than that the only thing I did was shoot it. A lot. For a long time. It is now the sweetest, smoothest, most accurate revolver I own. You might say it tuned itself up !

BOOM BOOM
03-29-2011, 12:32 AM
HI,
Wolf springs, stoned engagement surfaces , shot 700+ jacked rounds through both my 357 & 44 smoothed up a lot.:Fire::Fire:

Frozone
03-29-2011, 02:21 AM
HI,
Wolf springs, stoned engagement surfaces , shot 700+ jacked rounds through both my 357 & 44 smoothed up a lot.:Fire::Fire:

I'll second the wolf springs but you can get to light a hammer strike with them.
I poured a lap and lapped the restriction out of my SRH.
I also recut the cone to 11°, no more leading and accuracy went from "maybe a barn" @ 25yd to 4" @ 100yd.

Trigger job is easy but needs care. I'm Very pleased with the gun now, I was ready to give it away before.

DragoonDrake
03-29-2011, 04:29 AM
I have done my SRH 454. I put in wolf springs and polished my hammer and stoned all of the trigger assembly components. It is nice :). I had one person have an accidental discharge into the floor. I warned him that it was a light trigger and he dry fired it before he loaded the cylinder. I have only once had a light primer hit and I went up a half pound in spring weight (IIRC).

pdawg_shooter
03-29-2011, 08:23 AM
I'll second the wolf springs but you can get to light a hammer strike with them.
I poured a lap and lapped the restriction out of my SRH.
I also recut the cone to 11°, no more leading and accuracy went from "maybe a barn" @ 25yd to 4" @ 100yd.

Trigger job is easy but needs care. I'm Very pleased with the gun now, I was ready to give it away before.

Seems like a crime that a person has to rebuild an new out of the box firearm to make it usable. During 25 years as a dealer and smith, I hated selling rugers, I knew I would end up with a mad customer, and many blame the dealer.

kbstenberg
03-29-2011, 09:36 AM
I talked with a person on GB about replacing the springs on my SRH. An I was told that Utube had some good videos on the How to's for spring replacement. They are excellent! Just get to Utube an type in ( disassembly of Ruger Super Redhawk) I don't know which one I watched but it explained how to replace both springs in detail with pictures.
Kevin

markinalpine
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Now working on the restriction. So far 119 fire lapping loads with the 280. Didn't even bother with the fine. About half the restriction is gone. Hopefully another hundred firelap rounds and the baby will be ready for boolits.

Check out 2 dogs' article about firelapping: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=102711

Good luck,
Mark :coffeecom