PDA

View Full Version : ? Rooster Jacket ?

wild_weasel
03-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Some other folks on the forum told me about Rooster Jacket as an alternative to Lee Liquid Alox (LLA). While I have had good success using LLA I am not entirely happy with the bullets being tacky after it has been applied and dried. How else has used Rooster Jacket and how does it compare with LLA?

Cheers,
W-W

imashooter2
03-28-2011, 11:58 PM
I use a lot of RJ on my .45 ACP and .38 Special competition loads. I use it mostly because it dries hard and fast and film lubing gets me the most boolits ready in the shortest amount of time. I tumble it on just like LLA, spread them to dry and then tumble on a second coat.

RJ works great on low velocity stuff, but LLA is a much better lube.

fryboy
03-29-2011, 12:12 AM
i havent pushed it as far as some people state in the testimonials on the website ( 1400 fps ) for 38 specials and 45 acp it works well , IMHO much better than LLA , to be fair LLA works better thinned and applied very sparingly , i still wasnt enamored of it and preferred the RJ , after having read Recluse's excellent post and recipe and trying it i much prefer it to either the LLA or RJ , i havent tried the RJ for what it was originally designed for ( paper patching ) but i have tried it on top of moly to make the moly less umm messy , i will state that it's easy to use and washes off with water before it's cured, it reminds me of a water based floor wax type product

http://www.roosterlabs.com/products.html

noylj
03-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Rooster Jacket is a wax emulsion, very similar in appearance to AnchorSeal wood sealer. I tried RJ by itself against LLA by itself, and in most cases neither gave me any leading problems, but the LLA bullets were almost always more accurate.
I plan to do more testing with it, AnchorSeal, JPW, and 45/45/10.

buck1
04-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I have been useing Rooster jacket a bit and have noticed something strange .
Recoil is harder with rooster even if I size and lube in a lube sizer after its dry.
Pressure does not seem any higher but they kick noticeably harder.......Buck

imashooter2
04-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Newton says that can't happen.

buck1
04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I know . I expected to see flat primers and stuck cases. But primers were a spot on match and cases fell from the cylinder. Warmer loads with out rooster did flatten the same primers more.
I said it was strange.