PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ingots

theperfessor
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
An old friend of mine was cleaning out his garage and found some ingots and solder. I bought them and a 20 or so pound lead pot (see second picture) from him. Total weight of material was 32 pounds.

The first picture shows four ingots from the National Lead Company. All have the "Dutch Boy" image on them.

Top row, left:
"Heavy Pressure Metal"

Top row, right:
"Solder Dutch Boy 888"

Bottom row, both ingots:
"Perfection Anti-Friction Metal"

The second picture shows various ingots and solder bars.

Upper left:
"Hoyt Metal Co St Louis Geniune A"
with "E. R. Hoyt" in script and "Not genuine without signature"

Upper right:
"Federated A S & R Co"

Upper middle:
Either side says "Trademark Rec'd" on a shield
The center has "Syracuse Smelting Works"
"Manganese Babbit"
"New York City"

Top solder bar: "Auto Body Solder Dutch Boy"

Next bar down: "The Eagle Lead Co. Guaranteed"

Next four down: "Regulation Solder"

Bottom two bars: "Glaser Body Solder"
"Glaser Lead Co. Inc"
"Brooklyn NY"

----------------------

I've found info on the web about history/origin of some of these. Anybody care to share any comments?

By the way, from what I've found out the ingot in the top center of the second photo marked with "Manganese Babbit" doesn't contain any manganese!

Since I have plenty of lead, lino, and WWs I'm just going to keep most of these as artifacts, maybe use one of the Dutch Boy ones as a paperweight.

David LaPell
03-28-2011, 11:08 PM
My grandfather worked for National Lead in the small and now long gone town of Tahawus, NY. I have seen one of the Dutch Boy medals before, I am not sure if they were mined from there or not. I believe there is one in the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, NY in the mining exhibit. If you find anything with Tahawus on it, please let me know, I collect stuff from there since it was where my Mom grew up and it no longer exists.

BulletFactory
03-28-2011, 11:17 PM
you might be able to sell these.

Duckiller
03-29-2011, 12:33 AM
With the country gradually going to steel and zinc wheel weights I hope everyone here realizes that we are destroying national treasures when we make ingots. Good clean samples should be saved to show your great grandchildren what "it used to be". Duplicates and mangled examples of course could be converted into ingots.

BulletFactory
03-29-2011, 02:03 AM
.o_O.

songdog53
03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
be shame to melt those down..would keep them for future generations to see. Course in case of Zombie attack that changes everything.

sargenv
03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
I picked up an ingot from someone on here that had "Selby 1/2-1/2" on it.. it sits above my casting table. the Town of Selby is just a couple of miles away and used to be the largest lead smelter on the west coast.. in fact, the land is an asphalt capped superfund site now.. looks like a giant parking lot next to one of the area refineries.. I suspect that this bar of what I would figure is 50-50 solder had local origins.. Pretty cool to find something like that.

BulletFactory
03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Thats something those American Pickers might give a nice sum for.

*Paladin*
03-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Very nice! I agree with you and the others. Those are history, and something the casters of the future would find pretty cool!

frankenfab
03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
That stuff is REALLY COOL!

theperfessor
03-29-2011, 10:12 PM
The guy I got this from sold me about 100 lbs of lead figures, toy soldiers and such. He had a lot of molds for WWI, WWII, other wars, a M*A*S*H unit, marching band players, etc. He sold them through an auction service along with his Erector Sets. (He did give me first crack at everything but I just didn't have any real interest and space. He got a lot more than I would have paid him anyway.)

A month or so ago he gave me some "baby ingots" cast in a Gilbert mold, apparently an accessory you could get for Erector Sets. I'm just guessing but maybe other casting stuff came with it. If anybody knows about this I would appreciate knowing about it. I won't melt these either until there is a zombie attack.

I won't sell the lead figurines either because of lead liability concerns. They could be classed as a child's toy, even if made up into a diorama in a sealed case.

By the way, NONE of this is for sale.

BulletFactory
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I think it would be a shame to make bullets out of those. That's what WW are for.

stubshaft
03-30-2011, 06:04 AM
INteresting ingots perfesser.

lwknight
03-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Uhg, me makem boolits out of garage sale junk.
No matter what the history might have been.

dmize
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
The Dutch Boy strips are body solder from the good old days,"lead sled" is from when they used lead solder instead of plastic filler "Bondo".
My uncle was a body man long ago,when he died I ended up with about 100 pounds of Dutch Boy Sticks,seems he would use them for trotline weights.

MikeS
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I just got some lead, and in with them were some of the same round Dutch Boy 888 Solder ingots. Does anyone know the composition of them?

I tried to do a google search, and got several sites were they were selling 'Dutch Boy Paint advertising paperweights' that were marked 888 Solder! Can't people figure out that they're NOT paperweights? I would think the words National Lead Company on them, and solder might be a clue, but then I guess not! (they had pictures, and they're the same ingots like in this thread, and the ones I have) It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people can be. But I did learn from one of those sites that the 'Dutch Boy' that was used as the model for the original advertisements was actually Irish!

mrbillbus
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
The Dutch Boy strips are body solder from the good old days,"lead sled" is from when they used lead solder instead of plastic filler "Bondo".
My uncle was a body man long ago,when he died I ended up with about 100 pounds of Dutch Boy Sticks,seems he would use them for trotline weights.

A body man using lead was a total artist.